Cookies banner not enough

Here comes the paradox in this thing.

Do I understand correctly that when you enable the privacy policy in Sparkle, the cookie banner is automatically and inevitably enabled? That’s what it says in the documentation, mutatis mutandis. Or am I wrong?

Then you need a cookie to save that you don’t accept a cookie.

Mr. F.

Yeah but cookies come in different flavors.

A cookie to not show the banner is a preference cookie, or in the case of the cookie banner cookie it could arguably be categorized as an essential cookie, meaning not covered by any regulation and always allowed.

What it is blocking (assuming you deny cookies) are generally the more hated statistics and marketing cookies.

Hello @duncan

I have a suggestion, or a question.

Let’s assume the cookie strategy as it is currently implemented in Sparkle. If a visitor rejects cookies (perhaps rashly and imprudently), content requiring consent is no longer displayed. Ok. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Instead, a hole gapes in the page. Could you instead show a placeholder that then says “Content requiring consent was not loaded. Please check your cookie settings.”? Or something like that. Then the page doesn’t look so fragmented.

You can’t undo rejecting the cookie that easily. You have to remove cookies in your browser and reload the page. Or would there be a simpler solution?

You understand what I’m getting at?

Mr. F.

1 Like

Yes I agree we should have something like that. Some elements do have it, but in general an actionable placeholder would be good.

However the default privacy page does have a “Remove” button which is perhaps insufficiently described, but its purpose is to remove the consent (or rejection) decision stored in the cookie, and as soon as you click that the banner shows up again. An alternative way of labelling that button could be “review consent”, which would then pop up the banner and maybe have a clearer purpose.

Sorry. That was just nonsense, i wrote.

That would be a workaround for the pages that have 3rd pty content that needs consent.

Mr. F.