Creating a Blog with Comments

Hello Again!

I have almost completed my new blog with Sparkle. I want to add the ability for readers to leave comments on each post and have found the following: https://www.phpjabbers.com/php-comment-script/. Is it possible to use this with my Sparkle site? I prefer to run things myself as opposed to remotely.

The comment script will work in a sparkle site, but you may need a little support because some PHP Jabbers scripts create a broken layout that will need their support people to change the css files. Best to ask them when you buy the script if they will fix any layout issues you may have.

Personally, I would have used the Simple Blog script for the whole thing. It has an optional comments facility built-in so you can turn it on or off from the admin back-end. It’s also captcha protected to stop those pesky comment bots.

1 Like

Thank you @francbrowne! Sounds like it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’m getting rid of Wordpress for a reason after all :grimacing: And I hear you regarding the Simple Blog Script. I have been looking at it and as I mentioned, I’ll wait until V3 before deciding what to do. Thank you again!!! You’re a gem!

@jazzbird, I’m thinking on the take you are making about your blogging that Disquss (https://disqus.com) could be an interim and helpful solution?..

1 Like

Hello @FlaminFig! Thank you again! I’m not to sure about Disqus just at this stage. I did take a look at it but I’m still humming and hawing. A blog just doesn’t seem a blog without the ability to comment so if all else fails, I will reconsider. In the meantime, I’m installing a guestbook so at least there will be some chance for interaction.

1 Like

You’re smart for taking your time with the comments option. Let me offer a different take here. I never build personal or client websites with open web comment, forum, or discussion sections.

Most people when building a blog think that content is most important. It’s #2. What’s most important is your user’s interaction with you and each other, not early access or exclusive content. Your most devoted and loyal users will gladly pay to interact with you and each other.

1 Like

I added Disqus to a test page to see it. It’s easy to add.
https://www.selcukyilmaz.com/sparkle/disqus/

1 Like

Oh my gosh! This looks amazing @macarna. I’m almost convinced to do it. The reason for the hesitation is that I am currently downloading existing comments on my blog in the hope of transferring them to the new site. I’m not sure if I can upload them to Disqus (checking that out now) and the other reason for holding off is that I may install Simple Blog Php depending on what’s offered in Sparkle v3. But you have definitely given me food for though. Thank you! :smile:

1 Like

So @jazzbird…what did you end up doing?

I too am creating a blog site with Sparkle and am most interested in adding a Comments function.

Can someone confirm my understanding of how 3rd party code (e.g. PHP Comment Script | PHP Comment System | PHPJabbers) is added to a Sparkle design?

I am creating a blog site and guessing I am placing an Embed object to where on the blog post I want the Comment function to be shown. I assume I am placing the code from the 3rd party in the Embedded Content field of the Embed object and checking off the “Content expands vertically” checkbox.

I’ll need to learn if PHP Jabbers does any end user data collection to understand the data privacy issues and their mitigation.

Am I accurate?

I ended up using Disqus. It’s not exactly what I wanted to do but it’s very easy to use so I’m sticking with it. I’m still figuring out how to transfer all my previous comments over but not a priority right now.

Btw, PHP Jabber code is hosted on your backend so there shouldn’t be any data collection unless you are using their servers to host the script?

I am looking for a solution for a dog school in Germany, they have extended need for special features.
I know Sparkle cannot meet them so other platforms neither, except I go with a self written website.
Found a good wat to make that work with Sparkle and I am in contact with the support team from the script page, they are very helpful.
Have a look there, they also have a blog system.
https://www.phpjabbers.com/php-scripts.php

Michael

Thank you MiWe. I have since incorporated Disqus. I’ll keep PHPjabbers in my back pocket as a contingent path should I need one.