Defer loading of box images, and animating boxes

I noticed that I can’t defer the loading of the image inside a “wide box” element (though lighthouse seems to think I should be able to). I suppose this is not a common thing, but is it possible in the HTML5 standard?

Also, is animating a box element planned for the future? (Similar to how we can currently animate an image or text element)

I’m not sure what lighthouse is referring to. A box image is always deferred because it’s loaded after css is interpreted. If lighthouse expects it to be further deferred to when the browser is idle, then that’s not currently possible.

There are layout hierarchy/containment issues (not exposed in the Sparkle canvas) that make box animation not as straightforward as for other elements. You can however animate a group that contains a box, so that’s a workaround.

1 Like

Perfect workaround - thanks!

For lighthouse, I am not sure - its eating half-a-second of my mobile load time, but maybe its not visible in a real world scenario (only in the scoring). Since you seem to be adept at SEO and page performance, I just thought you might want to know about this. See attached screenshot of my score from www.hannondepalma.com/m/ .

Cheers,

Chris