Deleting outdated pages

I’m not sure this question has been asked before. The search didn’t help me.

I have revised my contact page and renamed it within sparkle. All menus were adjusted correctly and automatically. The upload worked and the page is displayed correctly in the browser. All menus work as expected.

BUT: the old page was not deleted during the upload. I checked that with an FTP program. Is that normal? I thought sparkle would clean up the pages.

Mr. F.

That’s what we expect to happen. Not aware of an issue but we’ll check.

Just waking up this old thread. I have the opposite problem. I deleted an obsolete page from my Sparkle site by deleting the page using the " - " button in the bottom left hand corner of the Sparkle interface, and about a week later Google Console emailed me complaining about the missing page!

Content of the email:

**Page indexing issues detected on http://www.mysite.com/

To the owner of http://www.mysite.com/:

Search Console has identified that your site is affected by 1 Page indexing issue(s):

Top critical issues

Critical issues prevent your page or feature from appearing in Search results. The following critical issues were found on your site:

Submitted URL not found (404)

We recommend that you fix these issues when possible to enable the best experience and coverage in Google Search.**

Logging into Google Console reveals the page Google complains about is the page I deleted. Could this be because the Sparkle deleted the page but left it in the Sitemap?

Hi.

Did you check your sitemap? Or do you have (dead) links leading to the page that you deleted?

Mr. F.

No, no internal links pointing to that page as far as I can tell.

How do I check my sitemap? I thought it was generated and updated automatically.

Thanks!

You will need a FTP App - like FileZilla - and log into your webspace. Look for sitemap.xml and open it. Be careful. Do not change it.

Mr. F.

You can simply view your sitemap by typing www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml into your browser.