Email for contact form on A2 web hosting

Hi, I’m struggling to make my contact form email work on my site which is at A2 web hosting. I’m using the “Email via web server” option in Sparkle. I’ve read https://sparkleapp.com/docs/forms.html.

Because I don’t know what “Email via web server” actually does behind the scenes, I have no idea how to debug this - or what settings I might need to look for on the hosting company’s side. Can you let me know what I should be looking for?

For instance, do I need to make an email account with A2’s cpanel so that emails can be sent from there? Do I need something installed into A2’s php environment?

If it helps, I am able to ssh in to the A2 server…

Thanks for any info!

Hi Chris,

Yes, you will need to create an email account using their control panel etc if you wish to receive any email.

Best
Scott

Thanks Scott, from the perspective of my web site I want to send email… is that what you meant?

If you have a contact form on your website, then you will need to set up an email account using the A2 control panel, otherwise nothing will work etc.

Best
Scott

I can make an email account in cpanel, but there’s no setting in Sparkle to tell it which account I made in cpanel for sending emails… how do I tell Sparkle which account to use?

@chrisi, You mentioned you are using “Email Form via Server” so directly below that (it only appears once you click on the contact form send button you created) and directly below the heading you will have “From” ,“To”, “Subject”. You need to place the email address you have created in cPanel in the “To”… meaning when someone sends your contact form on your website it will go the email address you have used for “To”.

1 Like

Thanks @FlaminFig @chrisi it’s pretty straightforward if you follow greenskin’s comment. Once you have done it, it will all make a lot of sense. I hope… Yikes!!

Best
Scott

1 Like

@chrisi, Sparkle’s thank you page has some PHP code in it that by default uses PHP’s built-in email functions.

Some troubleshooting steps are mentioned on the forms page, did you check those out?

You don’t need any email account for forms to work.