'Export to Disk' problem

For my websites, I am currently ‘exporting to disk’ as well as ‘uploading’ to a host server . Should there be any difference in the CSS/JS/HTML files that are transferred? In other words, am I supposed to be able to run my website from my home computer disk? The reason for asking this is simply when I run ‘index.html’ from my disk, the site works through my browser OK except for Photo Gallery thumbnails and object ‘animate on scroll’. Both of these show blank instead of the thumbnails or objects. Any answers or suggestions here?

@andrex991, I think this will help you out - https://sparkleapp.com/docs/exporting.html

Sparkle isn’t only the design platform you use to Publish your website but also the CMS, all done on your localhost so nothing else is needed.

1 Like

When an HTML file is launched form a Mac, it is launched by the Finder app, no matter where the HTML is stored on the home computer disk. Finder is quirky when launching HTML. Performance and output will not be the same launching from a home computer disk as from the host server. This is also true when launching from the Files app on iOS and iPadOS.

As @FlaminFig said, Sparkle is a simple CMS (Content Management System) that contains all files and links for the website. There’s really no need to export to disk on a home computer.

1 Like

No, the web ready files are intended to be used viewed on the web. Sparkle implements a number of techniques to ensure the site performs great, but those are not compatible with opening from the Finder (specifically from the file:// protocol).

Sparkle does have an export option for that, “high performance” vs. “offline compatible”. The latter produces a different slower site that will work properly in the Finder (or for other uses such as a kiosk or offline website), but you should most definitely not publish that if you want high performance.

This is one of the many techniques that old timers need to unlearn.

If you want to preview your site before publishing it, the only way is to publish it to a temporary/hidden address.

1 Like

Thanks for this and understood.

OK … got it. I simply won’t use it. Thank you.

I guess this is what happens when I don’t trawl through all the notes and guidance! Thanks.

I use Sparkle professionally with my clients, so I always create a ‘staging’ area (a folder ‘under’ the main website) where clients can review versions of the site as I design and update it.) I use a fairly standard date/time for the sub-folder, so clients can return to an earlier version to review it, if necessary (not usually). Here’s an example of one, after four revisions that day! :grin:

As an ‘old hand’ I tend to use traditional FTP for my clients’ projects, and then switch to direct uploading via Sparkle once the website is launched and handed-off to the client, if they wish to maintain it themselves.

Just mentioning this, as I always review my own staged versions before I send them on to my clients — I never review using local files exported to my machine (for FTP-ing), though I’ve come to trust Sparkle’s built-in Preview (using Safari) — it’s excellent (along with the rest of the app.)

1 Like

Antony, thank you for your extremely enlightening reply. First, I would like to congratulate you on your art - the style and colours are simply astounding and very refreshing. Second, I understand the main points you are making: the folder under the main page, FTP vs Sparkle for upload, non-use of disk export and finally trusting Sparkle’s built-in Preview using Safari (I now do the same).
I will reference your example website to colleagues and friends as an example of simplicity, efficiency and pure inspiration. Have you one or two other links you can share?
A final question. The only technique you use that I cannot immediately get my head around to try is in your Bio where clicking on a pic toggles between magnification and original. Can you tell me how this is done?
Once again, thank you creating this wonderful site for me to wake up to this morning :grin: … Andre

OK … I see how to do the large/small toggle now through Lightbox!

OK … glad you found that. To clarify: this is a client’s artwork, not mine (wish that it were so!) It was a recent exercise in exploring whether Sparkle — without add-ons or embedded code — could handle an artist’s multi-media portfolio. It has been largely successful — credit again to Sparkle’s capabilities. The Gallery object presents some frustrations (and the developers know this!) but I was able to use it effectively in this case. (You can see some of my other clients’ websites at the very bottom of this page).