Extending the bottom of a long page?

How do I extend the bottom of a long scrolldown page? I know how to pull the bottom edge of the page down to lengthen the page, but I seem to have reached its limit. Is there a workaround so that I can make the page even longer than its current limit?

Hello @CondorRider

@duncan will be able to tell you if there is a page size limit in terms of the length.

So how long is your page?
In a test document I was able to pull the bottom edge even beyond 50000 (vertical position).
But your page may be even longer …

screenshot

Thank you! I am unsure about how to determine the exact length of my page, but I can tell you the footer is at about 20,000 on the vertical, so the length of my page is considerably shorter than yours. I am wondering if it has something to do with the amount of elements I have on the page. There is a lot of text and photos, and also my cache number is above 600M. I would clear the cache except that I fear losing the work I have done on the page, or even my whole website. I’m a bit of a noob at this. I’d appreciate any further advice you can give.

Okay. Thank you for all the details.
So your page is shorter than my test page. There must be another reason then, although right now I can’t think of what it could be.

When I did this test page, I realised that pulling the page bottom further down can be difficult, especially with longer pages, it seems to move very slow. When I moved the mouse pointer outside the Sparkle window while dragging the page bottom down it seemed to go faster.

I don’t think the amount of elements on your page should be an issue. But can you try to move the page bottom on an almost empty page in Sparkle to see if you also come to a limit? Maybe just a page with a footer and nothing else.

The publishing cache is just for speeding up the preparation of the website when uploading to the server, I don’t think that has anything to do with it.

I’m sorry, right now I am at a loss myself, so I think we will have to wait for @duncan to reply to this.

And it’s bedtime here in Switzerland, so I say goodnight for now.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help, Shadowfax! Goodnight from California.

@CondorRider, Just one thing to ask… do you have an element (like a wide-box", etc…) at the very end of your long page? You can have a really long page but if you don’t have elements at the very bottom of your page then the browser will only show up until the last placed element and disregard the rest no matter how long you have made the Sparkle canvas.

Thank you for asking, Greenskin. I understand what you are talking about. However, I do have multiple elements down at the very end of the long page. I would like to make the page longer so that I can space out the elements. Pulling down on the tab that lengthens the page is no longer working though. If I pull it down further, then elements on the page disappear.

@CondorRider, Thanks for letting me know. I’m thinking from what you have described it might be a limitation or a possible a bug but I think Duncan is your man on this one!

1 Like

And good morning @CondorRider and @FlaminFig

Although I’m not absolutely sure, I don’t think that the canvas has a size limit. I did another test last night and was able to stretch the canvas size way beyond 100,000 in vertical position. And CondorRider’s canvas is only about 20,000 on the vertical.

@CondorRider – you mentioned that elements on the page disappear when you pull the tab down further. Do they disappear completely from the page? Are they deleted? Or just somehow move out of sight?

If we can’t solve this ourselves, I think @duncan may have to look at your file to see what’s going on.

Here is the bottom of the page, where it is stuck.

(continued in next comment)

and here it is when I extend the bottom of the page. Most elements disappear. The more I alter the page, the more elements disappear.

I am beginning to think this is a computer memory issue. I will try transferring the website to another drive to see if that solves the problem.

Thank you @CondorRider for the screenshots.

That is very mysterious. I have no explanation for this. Sorry.
Yes. Try another drive. So we can single out all possibilities.

Another question: Do you group elements on the page?
I use groups a lot, it helps to move around various elements on the canvas much quicker.

But I have noticed, that groups sometimes act a bit “weird”, I don’t know how to explain this.

If all these elements on the screenshot are one group, can you try to ungroup them and then move the bottom of the page? And see what happens?

I have to leave the house now, will check back in the evening.

Good luck and I hope we can solve this soon! :+1::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

@CondorRider, Is that a text box you are dragging down the canvas with all your websites text in it?

@FlaminFig, Yes, it is. The text box actually contains much more text which isn’t displayed because it is cut off at the bottom. It is peppered with images as well. Is it possible that the text box is causing the problem?

Also, following up on my previous post: I have transferred the file to two different drives and I’m still having the same issue. Fortunately, Duncan has contacted me and I have sent him my files. I will keep you all posted about what he discovers to be the problem and solution!

@CondorRider, I’m thinking it could be because your text container is one very long container containing all your information and it isn’t handling it. I’m thinking if you were to use a few more text containers sectioning your content as you go down the page that that might resolve it all.

2 Likes

Hello again :blush:

Okay. Some progress has been made. :+1:
Let’s see what Duncan finds out …

I am in the process of breaking down the text block. Hopefully that will do it! I look forward to what Duncan says too.

1 Like

Yes. I think that is a good idea, more text blocks will be easier to handle and to move around.

I have a feeling this “mystery” will end soon. :blush:

Unfortunately, I reduced the one big text block to several smaller chunks, but the page still won’t lengthen and the backgrounds disappeared. I agree, though, that we are going in the right direction. Thank you, @Shadowfax and @FlaminFig, for all your good advice!