Google Maps API key

Yep, I can confirm all my “basic maps” are down! Google sucks!!! :frowning:
Another way to further their spying reach!

1 Like

A number of my clients use the what3words map in their websites. Simply locate the address in the web app and then select the share link. This gives you a URL that be added to an iframe (plenty of free iframe generators online). Paste the code into an embed widget to display the map on your page. First time visitors will see an obligatory cookie message, but that’s quite acceptable. The good thing about this app is that it gives users the option of opening the location in a number of the popular map apps - including google maps. For mobile pages, you just need to add a link in the page and the map will display on a mobile mapping app as a separate window (far easier than struggling to get the map itself to display correctly on small screens.

Hello.

If you have to use a privacy policy, as required by the DSGVO, i think you have to extend it with what3words T&C’s.

I would prefer to provide the map as a link to an external page (here what3words). In addition it is pointed out that you leave the website and switch to a 3rd party service, you are not responsible for its content.

The visitor then has the choice whether he wants to follow the link or not.

Mr. F.

That’s why a first time display of the what3words map has a clickable button for GDPR compliance. But, as you say, a link is a better option. You can do a screen grab of the map, place it as in image and then use it as a link.

Actually you can’t screen grab Google maps, it’s against their terms.

Everything to do with Google lays our privacy bare and day by day gets more and more convoluted!

Is it possible we could get an option to google maps?
I know that we can use Apple Maps on a website so would something like that be possible?

Also loved how google notified us all in what they were going to do that would effect 100s of millions, NOT! :frowning:

So does this mean as a web designer that I have to now get every client to create a google billing account so I don’t wrack up the clicks on their behalf?.. Nice! The problem now is that I have a number of clients that don’t want anything to do with google so this isn’t going to be fun! :frowning:

@duncan I was thinking more of a screen grab of the w3w map - if it ends up being a link to their web-app, they don’t have an issue with that because you’re effectively giving them an attribution. In fact, even a screenshot of a Google Map is perfectly legal to use as long as you give the image correct attribution. This from Google’s terms and conditions.

The best way to provide the correct attribution is to ensure that the screen grab includes Google’s logo and information strip displayed at the bottom of google map windows.

Honestly I don’t really care about debating this, I would just caution anybody screenshotting Google Maps to consider that Google might not like that. My interpretation of this:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/144361

is that you shouldn’t take a screenshot.

Admittedly there are contrasting opinions on this, for example:

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-use-a-screenshot-of-Google-map-or-routes-on-Google-map-for-a-commercial-website

1 Like

In my experience and education of Google Maps Duncan is correct!

Google Maps is a propriety service (and they are proving it more and more as they turn down the screws) and this debate has been going on for years on the web about doing a screenshot. Google is not for us Users, they are after the data, the clicks which makes them money! A screenshot of the google maps doesn’t do that for them so I wouldn’t do it, period!

If anyone needs “direct from Google” confirmation of what you can and can’t do, check out their web page HERE.