How to make password case-insensitive

Hi there

I’m creating a website which contains a password-protected page.
As experience shows, my clients (many of them are elderly people) often have problems with entering case-sensitive passwords. For this reason I define an all-capital password and in the password field of the login box I opt for “Automatic capitalization”.
According to my thinking, this mechanism should result in a case-insensitive password protection. But unfortunately it doesn’t work. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Hello @sturzi :wave:t2:

The automatic capitalization option has no effect on the fields of the login form. Forcing capitalization is possible with Sparkle, but not for passwords.

1 Like

Thank you, Allan.
This explains why it’s not working.

By making an exception to the “Automatic capitalization” mechanism in the fields of the login form, SPARKLE is dictating “no case-insensitive login credentials” in a SPARKLE website, something that I find unjustified. It is a fact, that some people have problems with case-sensitivity in no-echo password fields and not all protected pages are highest-security facilities. It should be left to the website developer, whether she/he wants case-sensivity or not.

Herewith I am asking SPARKLE to reconsider this!

I understand the dilemma, but that is extremely insecure. What if those folks used the same password on their banking site? Their retirement account? Their medical account?

Again, I realize what you are up against, but must respectfully disagree as that is just asking for your website to have reduced security.

Matt

Matt, I disagree with you. The degree of security should be left the the publisher of a website.
It is a wide range from unprotected pages to high-security pages. In the website in question it is about protecting about thirty private mail-adresses from being read. The alternative would be a completely unprotected page.

Hello.

I don’t know if that works. You could try an “ALL CAPS FONT” like

Mr. F.

Thank you, Mr_Fozzle. The idea is good, but unfortunately ist does not work. I have tried it with CINZEL, which is an all-caps font. I think, the characters behind the password field are still of a distinct case and are only capitalized when they are displayed.

Hello,

Did you manage to implement the solution that I sent you?

Sorry, Allan, I had forgotten about your suggested implementation.
Now (after several failures) I have managed to get it to work. The problem is (because I have no experience with scripting), that I don’t know what I am really doing. But now, it works and it seems to me a feasible solution, although I would rather prefer that SPARKLE would comply with the option “Automatic Capitalization” in the password field.

Thank you very much, Allan!

1 Like

Hi sturzi.

Have you considered to set the password as a “passPIN” number? There’s no upper/lower case for digits.
Unfortunately you can not make the password field in a form “digits only”.
But your members should remember that they have to enter a looooong number. You can write a tool tip near the pswd field.

Mr. F.

Thank you, Mr_Fozzie. This seems to be a good idea.

But why do they have to enter a loooong number? They have to enter the number which I set as passcode and nothing else
And what should the tool tip be for?

OK alright. I would use at least 6 digits for the PIN. Longer is better. That’s up to you.

“Please enter your PIN number.”

So, that suggests “no letters”.

Mr. F.

OK, I get it. Thanks! :+1:

Be careful because I recall that when I was still using Windows, the numeric keypad had the annoying habit of disabling itself regularly. But it’s been over 10 years since I last used Windows…

Windows … ? Wasn’t that a kind of operating system? I doubt that it is still being used :grinning: .

1 Like