How was blog created/setup in new Sparkle v2.8 site?

Hi Duncan,

Was curious to see how you went about setting up the Sparkle blog and its posts in the new Sparkle v2.8 site layout. Wanted to do something similar in a design layout I was working on in Sparkle 2.8.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

there’s nothing special about the pages, I update the index page manually when I add a new blog entry. Doesn’t happen very often so while it is a little bit of work, it’s not a problem.

If someone where to blog daily and want archives by date, that would be a lot more work.

Duncan

1 Like

Why don’t you create an automatic blog that we can add that will allow users as well as us to post to?

We are working full time on Sparkle and that is on our list. It will come at some point.

4 Likes

Hi Duncan,

What about structuring a blog using Sparkle like this:

worldshaman.org/s-eoj/index.html ?

Joseph O’Laughlin

The point about blogging is not about how to structure the site. That would be fine. The point is supporting common blogging features such as RSS feeds, archive pages, tags, a quick workflow, etc.

Count me in on the blog! I’ve used an embedded WordPress blog which has been tricky as the blog entries take people off my main website. Workaround was to embed WP blog posts into a “shell” page that I can provide a link for. Makes it a lot more time consuming to blog. Can’t wait to see that functionality!

1 Like

I am really really hoping Sparkle 3 has a blog feature. I would convert my WP blog in a heartbeat!

Except for accessing Sparkle on mobile, there isn’t anything in WP or any other blog software that can’t be built by us or embedded with third-party software (RSS and comments/posts). It’s about setting up a workflow that reduces repetitive work. Duplicate page layouts for templates, use text/formatting styles across all pages, and create archive pages with links. Every post should be dated and on it’s own page, and tags should be part of well-written content. Finally, add site search on every page. It should be one of the first items users see.

The last thing Sparkle needs is WP workflow-killing-user-frustrating-straight-jacket-design. Use your imagination and build a blog your way, not the WP way. Who knows, you might just launch the Web’s next big blogging trend and your business.

Get off WP now and start creating!

1 Like

I agree with you wholeheartedly but there is an element of fun with WP (even with it’s many frustrations) that hook folk in. Think of the multitude of plugins, themes etc. Having said that, I do want more control on how my site looks - and I can’t do that on my own with WP. Even simple tasks now I have to hire a Fiverr guy for. And now formatting a post has become an issue. But I do need that extra push to go totally Sparkle for my blog and that would be if Sparkle 3 comes with its own blog feature. I’ve been fantasising for ages about this! I long for the day I can ditch WP.

Totally agree with you @thetravelhikelife! :slight_smile:

There is a bit more work in maintaining a blog on Sparkle (for now I hope), but that is AOK because it allows me the freedom to do it my way and it is far more secure than WP can ever be! Here is what I have achieved with one of my clients - https://financialstreams.com.au/blog.html

3 Likes

@greenskin I like the use of animation on the call-to-action buttons. This is critical for this site with many call-to-action buttons. Overall very clean and easy to read. Your consistent color palette helps reduce the complexity of the topic. A financial services blog/site is hard because the client always wants way too much info, such as text.

The best compliment I can give you is this is a blog that doesn’t look like a blog. While the client may think you’ve designed a website with a blog page (which you don’t even label Blog), a well-designed blog and website are one in the same. Good content + good design gets results.

3 Likes

@thetravelhikelife, Wow! Thank you for your beautiful and heart-felt comment! :slight_smile:

I’m super excited you got it in what I achieved for my client and as you pointed out it is a bit more unique than the everyday financial advisor sites I come across… but that is the beauty of Sparkle… It allows us to imagine and connect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The blog looks gorgeous!

Would comments be doable? One of the things I love about maintaining a blog are the comments and feedback (mine is a personal Mummy blog).

@jazzbird, Yes you sure can!

If you go across to Disqus (www.disqus.com) and sign up you can get some code to embed into your Sparkle file and like magic you can have Users commenting to your blog posts…

Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ll wait till V3 and if there isn’t a blog feature, I’m going to try and convert my WP blog into Sparkle. Maintaining WP is becoming a pest.