Is it possible to have a header wider than the content?

I’ve been looking for a way to do this, but can’t seem to find it. I’ve created a header to sit at the top of each page using a layout block. The background for the layout block stretches the full width of the page, which is great. But I’d also like the content of that block to do the same, independent of the page width which is at 960px. For example, I can’t move the site title I’ve created beyond the bounds of the page content width. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @Monkeyboy, welcome.

That’s not currently possible, not directly anyway. What you can do is use a fixed position popup and set it to align left or right. It’s a bit of a hack.

1 Like

Okay, no problem. Is this likely something that might be implemented in future updates? I think, for now, I’ll just keep it so the header content is the same width as the page content.

You can expect Sparkle to be working towards the goal of removing barriers while attempting to keep complexity under control.

The reason for the current approach is a flexible page width would mean adding pinning of position and size, that inevitably leads to overlapping content unless you constantly check every browser width and ensure you’ve set it up correctly.

As we progress we’re figuring out higher level constructs that fit with Sparkle’s approach and simplify handling variable width content.

Sorry long convoluted answer, but yes it’s something we have been thinking about since version 1.

2 Likes