Keep getting locked out by my web host

I keep getting locked out by my web-host when I’m uploading files with Sparkle. The host explained it’s because of “port-scanning” activity, then they said it was or a wrong FTP password. (It’s definitely not the latter, because I’m already logged in.)

Here’s what the host sent me (with the IP addresses taken out):
According to server's logs your IP [redacted] was blocked by firewall due to detected Port Scan. ### Nov 28 05:44:32 mtl-node11 kernel: Firewall: *Port Flood* IN=vlan3009 OUT= MAC=[redacted] SRC=[redacted] DST=[redacted]LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=51 ID=0 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=51315 DPT=22 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 ###

I had this same issue with my previous host, and it’s the main reason I just switched.

Any suggestions?

During publishing setup Sparkle tries to connect to a few different ports to auto-detect the protocol. Some overzealous firewalls think this is port scanning. So much for trying to provide a better user experience. Sigh. The solution is to just pick one protocol instead of “autodetect”, in the FTP setup.

Sparkle does not otherwise connect to different ports of your web host.

Thanks for the clarification. (And, now that I’m tinkering with my site again after a while, I must say again how much I really love this program. Thank you for it.)

The host got back to me asking me to use a passive mode for FTP, but I don’t see an option for that in Sparkle. I’ve sent them a list of the protocols Sparkle offers; perhaps if I know which one the server requires I can skip the checking step and avoid these blocks.

Yeah passive FTP is the only way. The opposite (active I guess) isn’t really used anywhere anymore.

The host let me know which setting to use, so now the site’s updating without a hitch. Thanks for your help!