Mobile usability

Hi Duncan,
With Sparkle 2, I was making my website for 960px only: it was not responsive, but it was mobile friendly.
With Sparkle 3, thank’s to the new automatic fonction, I have added all devices, from 1200 to 320 px. Sparkle says it’s ok, but Google says it’s not: for example, this page is not mobile friendly anymore (it was before).

Do you have any idea/solution?
Thank you

The auto-scaling is best used only in intermediate devices like 768 and 480, you should create a custom layout for 320 and adapt the size of elements so that text is readable and tap targets are large enough.

Ok. Do you think it’s possible in an automatic way? Without changing each page? (too much work)
It looks simple for the police size, complicated for the size of the tap target.

With freeform layout there’s no way to know what the relationship between elements on the page is, so there’s no way to make it automatic.

sounds logic
thank you

It is in fact relatively easy to create a freeform layout that becomes mobile friendly with the automatic fonction. I made it.
The main pb is about the police size: as the automatic function rescale the police strongly, you need a starting police quite big: a minimum of size 27 with interligne 1.
So, here is my question: would it be possible to limit the amplitude of the police resizing in order to keep a minimal police size compatible with the moblie frendlyness?

Making a larger font means the text won’t fit in the box, so the layout needs to be adapted. And you’re back at square one, there’s no semantic relationship between the elements on the page, so they can’t be meaningfully rearranged.

But it would be easy to make a starting box (in the 960px version) big enough to receive a bigger phone police version.
You don’t have anything to loose : if the police is too small, your website is not mobile friendly and it doesn’t make sense to add the phone device in automatic.
So, it should be a non negociable data : the police mobile version has to be big enough to be mobile friendly.

You are expected to adapt the smartphone layout and increase text size.

My website is too big and the changes in my pages are too numerous and frequent to be done manually. It has to be automatic (or not to be).

That is not how Sparkle works currently.

I undestand, but I think it’s a real and simple issue. Just add a minimum size for the mobile device and it’s done.

Hello.

I think you can’t avoid to create a 320 px version manually. Autoscale does not lead to the goal here (unfortunately).

If you use three columns for the large versions, it will also become three columns with tiny images and microfont in the smartphone version, if you have set “Automatic”. Google immediately complains about this as unreadable.

Use styles for the text design! You can then adapt these for the small page. The changes remain and apply only to this device. Use a single column layout for the 320 px pages. Your visitors will thank you.

Now this is a lot of work, because you have to touch every page.
I use the following device settings:
1200 px [auto]
960 px [personal]
768 px [auto]
480 px [not available]
320 px [personal]

I only need to edit 2 pages then.

Mr. F.

It doesn’t work for me. I have > 1000 pages in two langages and each day there is +/- 10 pages that needs to be created or changed. And I am alone. It has to be automatic.

Alright. Then Sparkle might not be the right tool for you.
You should look into a CMS like Wordpress or similar. I can not give any advice - sorry.

Mr. F.

Sparkle is perfect for me, precisely because it’s not a CMS: it’s my main competitive advantage, my competitors all use the same banal CMS presentation.
Thank’s to that, I have a excellent woldwide SEO and don’t have to pay any adwords.
But it would be still more perfect if it was possible to define a minimum for the mobile police size.

I know you believe it’s possible to have that setting and the layout be automatic. Believe me we would add it if it was.

Thank you for listening me, at least.
I find my solutions, anyway.