More spam since Sparkle 3?

Maybe, maybe not.
These robots are getting smarter. And if the words “Contact” or “Form” appear on the page or are included in the page name, I think that arouses the interest of the spammers. I changed the page a bit, gave it a new name and excluded it from the web search. Visitors can access the page from the menu. Wait and see what happens.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about these emails. They often do the rounds after New Year. Most of them are not even bots - they are manually submitted by individuals working for someone who just wants to scam people for money. Just delete them, don’t respond and they simply go away.

2 Likes

Hi.

The Terminator came back three times today to grab my money :money_with_wings: :moneybag:

I wonder if “he” is human or a machine that fills out the fields. Any idea how to make the form a bit more “smart”? I heard the term “honeypot” but do not know exactly what that is or how a honeypot works.

Or should i use an external form script?

Mr. F.

The honeypot technique allows you to ignore spambots without forcing your users to fill out a captcha or jump through other hoops to fill out your form. Add a invisible field to your forms that only spambots can see, you can trick them into revealing that they are spambots and not actual end-users.

Sparkle does not support / allow hidden fields, does it?
So honeypots are not possible without external tools.

Mr. F.

It has to be a machine - like in the movie. I added a checkbox and the text “If you are a scammer, please mark the box.” It is always marked :laughing:

I will remove the form.

Mr. F.

Yes, Sparkle supports hidden fields.

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-27 om 09.11.06

Sorry No. That hides only the text in the field. You see dots instead, like in a password field.

Mr. F.

Oh I see it now too, I hadn’t tried it :blush:

Mr_Fozzie,

What about hiding text behind an object (picture? field?)

ZbR

None of this will work because Sparkle doesn’t ask whether the field has been filled out or not and then refuses to send the form. For this you would need an external script.

Mr. F.

I’m not sure what all this chatter about the Sparkle form is about?..
You can ask the input boxes to be validated and then Sparkle will make sure the form is filled out correctly before a send can be completed.

If you have access to your cPanel on your hosting platform then you can initiate the spam filter on your email account and also up the spam filter setting to improve scrutinising in what it allows through.

Sparkle already implements the honeypot technique (and a few other things).

I just want to have a (simple) form that a machine can not fill out and send.
On the other hand, these robots are becoming more and more cunning to get around that.
It’s an ongoing battle against abuse and spam.

Mr. F.