Multiple webmasters for same website

I would like to maintain a Sparkle website together with someone in a different location. What is recommended to do? Share the Sparkle file in a common place, e.g. webhost? Then also using a procedure with website version management will make it work? Anyone with similar experience? Thanks, Hans

1 Like

I’m not an expert. But I think- if you’re careful you can use Dropbox to sync the core Sparkle files.

There is a risk of overwriting if both people are editing it. But depending on the nature of things, this may not be an issue. This is useful if you’re occasionally working on it.

Another option, if it’s only content or a blog that needs to be shared, is to use a CMS like WordPress to allow blogs and content to be editable. You would then need to convert to a WordPress site or template.

There are tons of CMSes out there:

@Moevi.nl, Having done this a few times I can recommend the following…

• upload your completed Sparkle file to a sharable iCloud folder (or Dropbox, etc…) giving your client access to it. I would recommend a copy not the original original just in case so you have a backup
  • They of course have to have the Sparkle app on their end, and also be aware that if you are using features in the Pro Sparkle they might not be available in the basic Sparkle app. I haven’t come across this issue yet so it might be best to ask @duncan for clarification
  • They just have to go into the shared folder and right click open with Sparkle giving them access to your completed project file.
  • When they have completed their updates they just save back to the shared folder overwriting what was there to begin with
  • All you do is take a copy and date it for reference, or open the file with Sparkle and write over your copy to update your Sparkle project file on your end with the latest additions made by your client

Of course there will be a bit of “fumbling” at first but after a few goes at it you’ll get the hang of it and get your preferred workflow method in order!
Good luck! :)…

3 Likes

Thanks @PulseCMS_Admin for your advises. For now I would like to focus on a solution with Sparkle. Dropbox might be a way to go.

Thanks @FlaminFig! This really helps and gives confidence that with Sparkle it is possible. I was not aware about the sharable iCloud folder. Will investigate further. Will also ask @duncan for advise how to deal with multiple webmasters. Again thanks for your great support!

1 Like

Sounds good… To be clear tho, if you used a CMS, you’d still use Sparkle to make the site. You’d add CMS markup so that the text content and blog could be editted online… Not all CMSes support that but many of them do… Although I think the Dropbox or sync idea is easier in your case.

@PulseCMS_Admin, I think of the Sparkle app as the CMS. It is just locally based (localhost) instead of server-side keeping things far more secured.

Sparkle creates adaptive fixed width layout breakpoints and the elements we lay down on the canvas are predefined by us containing the content before we upload it - in other words the containers don’t react, respond, or grow to the content. If we place CMS markup within these fixed containers and allow the content to be “fluidly edited” we end up with a layout mess, plus changes made to the desktop has a cascading effect down to mobile with fixed height containers, and unfortunately most of us don’t check tablet or mobile when updating the desktop.

The same goes with the embed element. Of course we can ask the container to grow vertically as we place more content into it remotely than what we originally had, but it then runs over the top of all the other fixed elements across the devices - again resulting in a layout mess.

So after trial and error I don’t take to the idea anymore where if I can backend a CMS onto Sparkle that it solves remote editing. The majority of CMSs are made for responsive fluid width layouts which is what Sparkle is not. But in the end it is just my take on it and maybe one day I can say otherwise.

2 Likes

Excellent points raised and made in this thread. If I may add…

I create an iCloud account specific to the client and project. All assets (including Sparkle files) are loaded into iCloud by me, my team, and the client. But I do not allow client access to the Sparkle file. One person only is granted access to the Sparkle File (not the client). For assets the client needs to access, if the client does not have a Mac, assets can accessed through the web at iCloud.com, or from an iPad and iPhone. Sparkle does not have collaboration features, change control or change tracking, or stand-alone runtime capability (really though, that’s the purpose of the web browser) to be reliably shared. Also, I never force a client to learn software I choose.

Sparkle is not a CMS. It is a container. A CMS is a database that allows assets to be accessed remotely from outside the CMS by multiple people and when updated outside the CMS, update automatically back into the CMS. A really well-designed CMS allows you to change an asset not created in the CMS and cascade the change back outside the CMS to the original creation App.

Sparkle’s design capabilities are weak or nonexistent. That’s okay because all design and content creation should be done outside Sparkle, using the best App for the job, then brought into Sparkle. Sparkle can then do what it does best as a container - provide a canvas to layout and upload content. Any design features in Sparkle should be there to take advantage of HTML capabilities that can’t be handled by another App.

1 Like

I do agree that a non-savvy client shouldn’t get access to the Sparkle file - they can/will make a crazy mess of it, especially if they don’t put in the time to lean it… and then there is also the needed foundation of web design and online marketing! But I think in the end Sparkle is for empowering the individual.

I guess us designers have to draw a line between an individual that wants control over their own online presence, and a business client that wants to use the internet for business which poses far more issues to work through and keep consistent. So in that case I use an in-depth discussion, proposal and contract where we offer the service of maintaining their Sparkle file, and published website.

True, web design is far more than assembling html/CSS/javascript into a layout which Sparkle does visually fantastically! It is also the visual design elements that we use supporting tools for (Affinity Suite, Vectonator, etc…) to get our website over the line via Sparkle! :slight_smile:

1 Like