Photo galery and potrait photos

As you mentioned it’s all about personal preference… in this case Susanne loves the background images used… About the loading speed. Is it not so that browsers only the first time take long to load all images and the second time they will use data locally stored? And yes we use a low cost hosting server but here in the Netherlands and Germany the speed is acceptable.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello @Moevi.nl

Your website moevi.nl is loading fast for me as well … so I guess it is the page itself that has many pictures on it … loading all of those makes it slow.

Right now the whole page is loaded all at once.
There is a function in Sparkle, for images: “Load When Visible”, so that would probably help a bit with the speed …

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 14.27.34

There is more information in the Sparkle documentation:

https://sparkleapp.com/docs/images.html

Quote:

Load ‍when ‍visible

‍Browsers ‍begin ‍downloading ‍images ‍even ‍before ‍having ‍loaded ‍the ‍entire ‍page. ‍If ‍your ‍page ‍contains ‍many ‍images, ‍they ‍will ‍all ‍be ‍queued ‍up ‍for ‍download, ‍and ‍this ‍can ‍effectively ‍make ‍the ‍overall ‍page ‍load ‍be ‍slower. ‍The ‍“Load ‍when ‍visible” ‍option ‍delays ‍image ‍load, ‍so ‍it ‍is ‍worse ‍for ‍images ‍at ‍the ‍top ‍of ‍the ‍page, ‍but ‍by ‍setting ‍it ‍for ‍images ‍not ‍initially ‍visible ‍it ‍will ‍speed ‍up ‍overall ‍page ‍load ‍time. ‍Additionally ‍if ‍the ‍site ‍visitor ‍never ‍scrolls ‍down ‍to ‍reveal ‍all ‍images, ‍fewer ‍images ‍will ‍have ‍been ‍downloaded ‍so ‍it ‍will ‍save ‍on ‍bandwidth ‍as ‍well.

2 Likes

The hosting delivers quite good performance considering the density of images. In most checking tools it ranks a lille over 80 - not that bad.

Interestingly, I ran the site through a cost calculator to find out what it costs people in various countries to access your site if they were using the cheapest mobile plan. The results are quite revealing about which countries pay the most for mobile data. The top results for your site are shown below.

I’m glad I don’t live in Canada!!!

Thanks, we will read and implement your suggestion.

Thanks for your info @francbrowne an interesting site. Fortunately in Europe we mostly use wifi to access mobile websites.

How about lowering the quality of the background images? They will load faster and since they are in the background, there’s no need for them to be really sharp.

Yes on my iPhone, it takes 3-4 seconds per image to load. Best to downsize them some.

Hey there,
as an iweb user i switched to sparkle some time ago. First of all I’m quite happy with it!!
This is my website: www.koelblmarkus.de
The gallery tool is good, but I’m still missing some special features.
It would be great, if you could click on one picture to get it fullscreen and click in this position through the whole gallery or switch with the arrow keys.

Also iweb had another format with smaller pictures, laying side by side with the label below.
If you know what I mean? I liked to use it before, but that’s a whole other thing.

Will there come any of that, or is it allready possible and I don’t see it?

Thanks for any help!
Markus

Hi @MKoelbl, it’s not possible currently. We definitely want to expand gallery features at some point.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion @macmancape. Will inform when it has been implemented.

i have updated my website with a new look and a different photo gallery. Hope you like it. best regards, Susanne
https://suzart.de/

Well done @Suzart.de ! :slight_smile: