PHP 8.2 and Sparkle

My web host is upgrading to PHP 8.2 in February. I have several websites, built with Sparkle. I have been told that they are using php 7.3 or 7.4 and that I should upgrade. I am using the latest version of Sparkle. Will this be a problem. The websites do not have a Search-function or any forms.
Sincerly Marte

1 Like

They actually have no way to detect what version of PHP is being used, so they’re saying “your hosting is configured to use PHP 7.3”. Sparkle is fully compatible with PHP versions from 5.6 to 8.x, you can change the setting to PHP 8.2 in their control panel, nothing will change in your website.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Thanks Duncan!

I had the same question from my web host. Sparkle is functioning fine after conversion to PHP 8.0 but my self-made guestbook collapsed. Perhaps someone knows a nice PHP script in version 8.0 for a guestbook in Sparkle?

I get the note “Sparkle requires at least PHP 5.6, you have 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.30” when opening site from v 5 to my ISP. So how do I get PHP 5.6??? (Mac OS Ventura M1) - site has always loaded fin from v 3 and 4. HELP

Go to your web hosting control panel, many web hosts offer a selection of the PHP version. If you can’t find it, contact your web host and ask them to update their PHP version.

Thanks - will do. BUT I paid my money for the product and earlier versions have worked fine, Duncan. Is it possible to download v 4.5 from anywhere. I don’t seem to have any access from your site. Kind regards.

Sparkle 4.5 also did not support PHP versions prior to 5.6, but your site would randomly malfunction. So this is not about the money you paid or Sparkle regressing, it’s about fixing things that are broken.

We no longer support Sparkle 4. If you email us the details about your web host we can help with that.

1 Like

Many thanks for your time and reply, Duncan. After some research, I was advised that my web hosting tech was no longer supported so I will switch providers and continue with Sparkle.

1 Like