Preview text in Facebook

When I publish a webpage in Facebook, it shows the title of the page, but also a short preview text of the page. How can I control this content? This also happens in a search result in Google. Do I add something in Sparkle to type my own text that I would like to see?

Sven

For Facebook you can turn on the social sharing setting in the site settings, that fill make sparkle produce the metadata Facebook expects, the text comes from the page description, the image can be chosen in the page settings.

If the page has already been shared on Facebook you might need to clear Facebookā€™s cache of that information (or wait for it to expire). This can be done manually from the open graph debugger.

Google very rarely shows the page description, most of the time it will show an extract of the page that matches the search query.

1 Like

Hello,

The open graph debugger does not work for me when trying to post a preview of my Sparkle site.

I keep getting this message: ā€˜The following required properties are missing: og:description, fb:app_idā€™

While the preview shows a version of my site that has been out of date for at least a year now - I would very much like to get this fixed as my site content has been significant;y updated.

Iā€™m on a Mac, Big Sur, Safari and latest version of Sparkle.

My website is: https://www.signalcell.net

Thank you,

James

Hi @JamesL,

your home page is missing a description, so thatā€™s the reason for the ā€œog:descriptionā€ error. fb:app_id can be ignored.

The preview image is what you entered in Sparkle (home page settings, sharing section). You can change the image there. I suggest a 1200x630 pixel sized image.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the prompt response Duncan!