Privacy and cookies show up on the approaching the landing page

I must admit I have no clue about this privacy and cookies and how to use them properly that it works with no hazzels. Please watch my screenshot: might be that translation is the issue here. I do not understand what am I missing here, please also watch the published website (it’s a subfolder on the domain): steinmetzin-sein
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-09 um 15.12.18

To make it clear - I do not see the privacy and cookies bar on the landing page and not on any page.
As far as I understand, it makes no difference, where in design view that privacy and cookie bar is placed as one checks “bottom” or “stop” in/at/on the right panel, correct?

I also have a technical question on how to explain to clients and users, what exactly the check or deny, when they click on “DENY” (my red button and below my privacy and cookies text) and or “REMOVE” or even “OK” (my green button).
As far as I follow the explanation on the sparkle documentation, there are no cookies by default on a sparkle website - well, in my case there are some YouTube videos, which my client is totally allowed to use (btw).

Thanks in advance,
Uwe

One issue at least, I can see, I get the cookies and privacy banner once in Safari but never in Chrome.
By testing again, I don’t get it anymore in Safari.
Like this I would prefer to have a kind of automatic Lightbox when approaching the landing page. But of course I do not know, if I can copy and paste the corresponding buttons with its code to that Lightbox, which is very necessary, I guess from common sense.
Also, I thought, one cannot see the YouTube, when denying the cookies banner button. But when I scroll , the cookie banner disappears, which I checked to do so, but is a scrolling action technically the same as the OK button?

Thanks in advance,
Uwe

hey Uwe, good questions

actually the privacy banner serves as a gate for external cookies (as you’ve mentioned, sparkle itself doesn’t do those).

for example, lets say you have an Youtube video embbed (which you do). In order to comply with the GDPR, the Youtube video (which by itself generates cookies for Google and Youtube) gets encapsulated by the cookie banner yes/no mechanic. Not only Youtube but any other third party external service will be inside of that, for data protection.

Thats why when your visitor deny, the Sparkle code doesn’t show and won’t share neither apply cookies on his browser, but in return, he won’t be able to see content.

The design of the banner itself is by choice (which you can change and mess around in the privacy policy page itself) but it must be shown if you are in a GDPR complaint country and if you’re generating cookies for third party services

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Hi Primo,
it helps and helps not, because my issue as of this writing, I cannot reproduce to see the banner as soon as I reach the landing page. Technically, is it like - if I clicked OK one time, my machine keeps that in mind for every time I reach that website? If so, is this GDPR like? I don’t think so. From my common sense, it must really ask every time, which is of course annoying but on the other hand important.

I found out, that once, having clicked “DENY” (verweigern), one cannot see the youtubes - also one cannot see any videos, after visiting the page “Datenschutz” and clicking “DENY” here. So both buttons do their job as intended. As soon as one clicks either OK in the privacy banner or after having denied at first, clicking REMOVE (entfernen), the privacy banner reappears, giving the chance to click OK here and soon all youtubes are available.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Uwe

Oh, i see your point. Actually, theres two types of cookies, the session and the permanent cookies. The services generates different types of cookies and different durations, so what i think Sparkle does when it encapsulates all cookies together is it generates a permanent duration of a month or something (@duncan probably will enlighten us on this) so it keeps every cookie in a faster duration cycle.

As for this, it is how the GDPR is laid out so if you’ve accepted once, you only need to accept it again when its validity have ended, so it’s pretty much it.

I don’t understand a lot about the GDPR, but hope it helps.

First, I am not a lawyer. Some people are litigious and if you are concerned that it might affect you, do seek legal counsel.

What “some guy on the internet” can say to the best of his understanding:

• although we talk about GDPR here, it’s actually the draft e-privacy and former cookie law which cover some of the website and cookie banner regulation, GDPR is not just limited to websites but all aspects of business activity that involve collecting and processing data about their customers, or non customers they come in contact with
  • “cookies” is an overarching term indicating any form of tracking and profiling
  • GDPR is not the same in all European countries, most countries have their own implementation details
  • recent modifications align most countries to not allowing dismissing the banner on scroll, so you should turn that off
  • like @primo says, the purpose of the cookie banner is to let the site visitor decide about cookies in general, but since Sparkle sites don’t generate any cookie of the profiling variety, the banner is effectively only about third party cookie, so gating third party content
  • I’m not sure what you mean with “my client is totally allowed to use [youtube video]”, GDPR is about cookies, not content ownership, and the site visitor needs to have ultimate control over cookie exposure
  • GDPR does indeed allow for showing the cookie banner once a year
  • the deny button lets the site visitor hide the cookie banner without being exposed to any third party content
  • the ok button lets the site visitor hide the cookie banner accepting third party exposure
  • the remove button (Sparkle’s default is to have it on the privacy page) clears the preference and lets the site visitor choose again, as if it’s the first time they visit the site
  • the difficulty in testing is because once the preference cookie is set, it’s stored in the browser, you need to clear the browser cache (in safari it’s called website data, in the privacy section of the preferences)
  • to ease testing, Sparkle’s preview shows the privacy banner on every page
  • the documentation does state that the privacy banner is designed on the privacy page, but then displayed on all pages

I hope this helps, but I’m happy to clarify if you have further questions.

2 Likes

Hi.

Please read more about cookies here:

Mr. F.

Blockquote * recent modifications align most countries to not allowing dismissing the banner on scroll, so you should turn that off`` - thanks. very helpful - turned off-check

Blockquote * I’m not sure what you mean with “my client is totally allowed to use [youtube video]”, GDPR is about cookies, not content ownership, and the site visitor needs to have ultimate control over cookie exposure - thanks for this as well - I just mentioned it, because the legal ownership was just one point in addition to GDPR

Overall, very helpful, got everything and most important I can now answer question from client(s) as there are in this case quite several craftsmen and craftswomen to handle :cowboy_hat_face:

Kind Regards,
Uwe