Question: Inline images?

Greetings, everyone! I’m new here, a refugee from the discontinued Adobe Muse (and currently, one-by-one, replacing all my need-to-get-by Adobe apps with alternatives so I can finally cancel my CC subscription.) I seem to remember looking at Sparkle a long while back and finding it a bit inadequate, but after looking at it this weekend, you guys have come a long way … I went ahead and licensed Sparkle Pro for myself. :smiley:

One question off the bat … Is there any way to place an image (or other object) inline into a text frame, so it moves along with the flow of the text? With my previous web design apps I’m used to either placing a small inset image into a block of text, or I’ll often create headers and subheaders in an image editing app so I can use funky typefaces/colors/effects, and export them as narrow PNGs I embed into the text frames. I feel like if I just place the image on the page and flow text around it, if I edit the text or if page flows differently on someone’s browser, the headers or inset images might end up in the wrong place as text overflows or underflows around them.

Any insight, I’d appreciate it! Otherwise I’m really liking a lot of the features so far. Thank you!

-cooner

1 Like

Welcome @cooner, inline images are still not supported in Sparkle unfortunately. We are aware of the issues it causes and hope to be able to add it in the future, but I don’t have a timeframe for when it will happen.

If you are looking for an inexpensive photo editor, may I suggest Graphic Converter? It’s been around for over 20 years now and has many features not found in Photoshop…for a nice price of $40. Free trial:
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/image-editing-slideshow-browser-batch-conversion-metadata-and-more-on-your-mac/
(Sorry about this off-topic post but he said he was looking for Adobe replacement apps.)

I would buy Sparkle all over again if inline graphics were a feature…that and having “scroll locations” anchored to the text would be a dream, too. Most of my time is spent adjusting those after adding or removing a bit of text or a new image.
It is so strange to have gone from the really early website building programs to Adobe GoLive to Freeway to Sparkle (probably leaving some forgotten ones out). So many capabilities came and went. Regardless, I am so glad to have things work reliably; not to be encountering strange behaviors and creating endless workarounds. Sparkle is like that pony that may not win the Derby, but she knows the way home (that’s a compliment).

While Sparkle still does not have inline images, layout blocks are a neat solution to that. Once you set it up it will bring along text and images when you move it, so everything remains tidy, across devices.

Sparkle 4.x doesn’t yet have a way of moving scroll locations along with the rest of the page, this will in part be mitigated in an upcoming future version Sparkle.

2 Likes