Renaming images?

Am I right in saying that any photos, logos, banners, that had been placed into a page must retain their original names so that Sparkle can find that image? I found this out to my cost when I decided to rename the images thinking that this would not affect the PNGs, JPEGs, SVGs that I had used. I was clearly wrong. The banners seem to still be in place though, but the others were either lost or something else appeared in the preview. I was only trying to clean up the names so that they might be beneficial for SEO. Thankfully, I made a copy of my latest sparkle design so I haven’t damaged the integrity of my website; instead, I’ve lost many hours of work. 

So my main question is simple this: once this is uploaded, how do I ensure that all the images can be found in the future if I decide to move the folders somewhere else on my hard drive? When this website is finally uploaded to the server and I choose to make refinements later, I want to be sure that Sparkle can still find those images. 

For assets that can be stored outside of the project file, so gallery images, downloadable files, audio and video files, you can opt to switch them to “stored in this document”. This makes them always available, at the expense of making the project file bigger.

Unfortunately there is no central place for switching them all or for checking their status. We should build that.

1 Like

Hi, Is there now a way to consolidate all assets used in making a website from sparkle, into the sparkle doc (hopefully with a single menu option click)?

It not in sparkle 3. Still something we plan for the future.

Hi Duncan, thanks for the reply. I see a photoshop image i put in sparkle was renamed to .jpg but i can’t find it. Where are the images stored once i drag an image into sparkle?
Love esther

The images go into the project file. Clearly a psd file is no use on the web, Sparkle renames them to jpg to export them.

This reminds me of the Dreamweaver Site map function. When you rename an image in the site map, you are asked if you want to update all pages where this image is placed.
Would be helpful to have something similar :smiley:

Greetings from Mr. F.

When you say they are in the project file, is there a way to open that project file. Like the open package command for an app?

No, the file is in an internal format.

Thanks. My concern is i am a very disorganized person. I have files all over the place and would find it very hard to remember to put them all in one folder. Also periodically i move things between my hard drives. I would love it if there was a consolidate resources/assets button so where my project folder is i had a copy of all the assets being used. So hopefully something to think about for the future maybe?

@esther, What ever you place in your Sparkle document is kept in the document, and you have the option to do the same with your Image Gallery images and localdrive videos… not sure about audio files though.

So for me I have a folder that my Sparkle document sits in and then I’ll have an assets folder where all my assets (images, videos, audios, icons, etc…) sits in that I have placed within Sparkle just for my organisation. With keeping all your asset files within the Sparkle document it allows you to move you Sparkle document around without breaking the links to any of the placed assets.

And then you’d say but the Sparkle file is so big in size which is a bad thing when I publish it. The Sparkle file isn’t published onto your web server! When you hit Publish Sparkle rolls up its sleeves and converts the Sparkle document to a website document (html, CSS, javascript, optimised images, etc…) which is totally optimised for the web! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For my workflow I never use folders. I tag every file. Most of my files have multiple tags. One for the project, one for the client, and so on. In macOS, iOS, and iPadOS you can tag any file, no matter what format or app created it. I access any file by tags from any Apple device, external hard drive, and iCloud using the Finder on the Mac, the files app on iPhone and iPad, and from within an app such as Sparkle.

1 Like

Thanks for info. So I have a question. Previously on my muse site, if I had 2 different galleries and they each contained images called page 1, page 2 etc ie files with the same name, muse used to get these mixed up. Can i have images that are different but named the same in two different galleries in sparkle?

This is not a problem in Sparkle. If two images are identical Sparkle will use the same image file, otherwise Sparkle will rename one of them to not clash with the other.

1 Like

Cool! I thought so. Thank you for the info.