Select which sections a menu is visible in

Hi - it would be great to be able to select which sections a menu could be visible within

ie section A, section D, section F. Having a check box choice of selections would work.

This would save a bunch of time cutting and pasting

1 Like

Yes, that would be great. I have 8 sections and would be happy to show the same menu bar on all pages except on the index.html.

2 Likes

Related to this suggestion, but coming at it from the other direction, perhaps a toggle to EXCLUDE an item from a page/section would work too. But maybe this becomes a coding nightmare?

Either way, some method to exclude a ‘show on all’ item from some pages/sections would be helpful.

Hello.

Nice thought. I would like to shed some light on this from another angle.

A section summarizes thematically similar pages. That’s probably how it’s intended by the developers.

If sections A, D and F are supposed to have the same (sub)menu now, the assumption is that the pages are also thematically the same. So why are they not all in section A ?

I can’t see the benefit from the proposal (yet). By the way, you can duplicate the menu by copy&paste.

Mr. F.

Hi, @Mr_Fozzie,
I accept your rationale about sections and common themes without debate.

My suggestion is motivated by simplicity, maybe laziness (the mother of all coding suggestions? :thinking:), pure and simple.

Consider the following:
When setting up a site, ‘show on all’ is the default for getting common headers, footers, menus, etc. across pages/sections. Unless one is perfectly foresightful, however, eventually one gets to a section/page that needs something different from the theme. To enact this difference, presently one must a) toggle off ‘show all’ and copy/paste to all extant sections/pages, b) restructure pages by new theme(s), and/or c) add material that obscures/covers the thematic items on those different pages/sections. (And there may be more options.)

An ‘exclude’ toggle makes this easy, it seems. But I am unsure of the coding problems that may arise.

That written: Re-thinking Sections and Folders:
Your comment has me re-thinking the need for my my request and more: my conception of Sections and Folders. Perhaps some of my blockage comes from not using Sections and Folders separately. I understand that they can have different functions but, for simplicity and clarity, I use them synonymously: all pages in a section are associated with a folder of the same name. It helps keep the structure straight.

I understand, now, that I could use sections and folders independently (I didn’t when begining to use Sparkle). Each page would be classified on two dimensions: the display theme, grouped in common sections, and a file structure, grouped in common folders. It adds a layer of complexity; but perhaps this is the solution to my theming issues?