Sparkle 4 launch

Any news on Sparkle 4? Monterey launched 2 days ago, is there any launch date? Very hyped here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sparkle 3 blew my mind! I can’t wait to see what new kind of magic Sparkle 4 can do.

3 Likes

Sparkle 4? So soon? Sparkle 3 was introduced less than a year ago.
Excited to see what new features and improvements Sparkle 4 will bring.

3 Likes

Sparkle 3 was a massive upgrade with so many new features can not wait as well to see what Sparkle 4 will bring

I assume that validation of Sparkle 4 software takes more time then expected. Maybe due to bugs or inconsistencies of macOS Monterey. We don’t know.
A little patience is needed and we’ll have to wait for results delivered by the hard working team of Sparkle.
So far we have not been disappointed by this team. Keep up the good works on Sparkle!

Excited for this upgrade. Sparkle gets better and better.

I realize I might have implied that the release of Sparkle 4 was going to be tied to Monterey. We did release Sparkle 3 along with Big Sur after all.

That’s clearly not the case, we’re still working on small Sparkle 3.x fixes related to Monterey, and still working on Sparkle 4 features and testing.

I’m afraid we don’t have a definite date yet, sorry!

6 Likes

Actually I’d like to see Sparkle 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, etc first. I’m not in favour of introducing new versions every year, as Apple does with Mac OS. I wish they’d stop it.

1 Like

I agree. But I have to say, that I’ll buy whatever Duncan and his team bring to Sparkle. Because I’m sure it’s going to be great and because this team deserves our support.
I knew next to nothing about building a website. With Sparkle, I’ve learned a lot and achieved so much.
It’s an amazing enabler and the knowledge gained about things like SEO (made so easy with Sparkle) and the pro tips everywhere that the team don’t keep to themselves (like clean URLs) are priceless.

Thank you team Sparkle :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Usually version number changes are classified by significance level, and the decision of which sequence to change between releases is based on the significance of the changes from the previous release, whereby the first sequence is changed for the most significant changes, and changes to sequences after the first represent changes of decreasing significance. I believe significant feature upgrades like we got in Sparkle 3 had to have been released under a new sequence than 2.x.

While I see your point of view, ultimately it’s just a number, from the point of view of an existing user.

But the perception of how much is improved is definitely communicated to new or prospective customers via that same number.

We’re a small team, and that is cheap marketing if you want to see it cynically, or it’s an effective way to communicate maturity.

I believe we should have done that more in the endless 2.x days.

Finally I believe we also have removed the money problem from the equation, because unlike most software in the world, for one time purchasers the update is entirely free for everybody, with new features being an optional purchase.

And I think this is a great balance for everybody, we don’t need to maintain and fix multiple version of our software, everybody can live the promise of a stable foundation (which isn’t easy, the web is a moving target), and we get to expose new features to all Sparkle customers.

With any new version things can break and change, but we’re not shy with fixes, and I don’t think you were asking to stop improving Sparkle.

10 Likes