Sparkle file content

Am I correct that the Sparkle file contains ALL the necessary files, the imported pictures and even videos?
Can I leave my collected material that I used for my website in a separate folder, even move the used files/pict/videos somewhere else (or even erase them - which I wouldn’t do :sunglasses:) and they are still in the Sparkle file, (in a compressed mode)?
Can I import pictures into Sparkle without having to put them in the same folder as the Sparkle file from anywhere on my Mac, even from other macs on my network?

I assume that the answers to all my questions are YES, but I just wanted to be sure, before I regret messing things up.
Thanks

By default videos, downloadable attachments and gallery images will be referenced on your Mac, in their original location. You can switch their setting to store the asset in the project file.

Webfonts are only ever referenced, there’s currently no way to embed them.

You can import files from anywhere on your Mac or network.

Thanks Duncan. So if I don’t switch the settings to store the asset in the project file (I didn’t find where to do that, sorry), does it mean, if I erase a picture in the original location, the next time I add something new and publish my site, that picture won’t be found anymore? :astonished:

That’s correct.

This is the video option (“in original location”):

This is the downloadable file option (“store in this document”):

This is in the gallery (“In this document”):

Looks like the only default to in original location is the video one though.

Sorry, now it doesn’t make sense to me: For the video I understand that it would be a big addition to the Sparkle document, so the storage choice is important, but because Sparkle generates different picture sizes, aren’t they stored in the document file? Or are they generated again each time I press Publish?

There’s no mention of individual pictures. Gallery images are sometimes many images, but it still defaults to in-project.

The generation is an entirely separate issue, generated images at different sizes and bitrates are cached on disk, but not in the project file.

I would like to see an option where individual images are also stored in the project file. Would you please consider this in future versions of Sparkle app.

Best
Scott

Individual images are always only stored in the project file.

I feel stupid, but now I’m totally confused:
My question was: if I erase a picture in the original location, the next time I add something new and publish my site, that picture won’t be found anymore?
Duncan wrote: That’s correct.
But if Individual images are always only stored in the project file, erasing them in (or moving them from) the original location shouldn’t have any consequences.
Where am I wrong?
Cheers, Chris

I misunderstood sorry. Individual pictures are always copied into the project file so never lost if you move them.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying! I too was a little confused after reading this thread!! haha :slight_smile:

Best
Scott

Yes, thanks Duncan. Confusion gone! :yum: