Sparkle is being slow and unresponsive

Mac os13.4, 32GB ram; Sparkle 5.0.3

Lots of force-quits and very slow working. For example, copying and pasting text has 30 seconds of beachball spinning.

After “save and export” (to disk) I clicked the window to close and it took 7 minutes to close. My Sparkle file is 470MB and 98 items for me to upload. It wasn’t even a new project - just an update of an existing file.

Does anyone have some tips to speed things up for me please?

Hi Ro888,

first of all good (or maybe bad?) news: I run a test publishing to disk (external platter HDD) 392 GB Sparkle file and it did in 1 min 20 sec.

Thus, it is not Sparkle problem (good news) but something with your Mac configuration (bad news). Did you clear Sparkle Publishing caches?
I also removed Sparkle Library files before installing 5.0.3

ZbR
Mac mini M1, osx 12.6.6, Sparkle 5.0.3

Hi @Rob888, probably only something we (Sparkle) can improve. 5.0.4 is coming soon with another round of fixes, including improvements to copy/paste performance.

Do you have the new image format AVIF active?
That takes very long to be compressed.

Mr. F.

hi, thank you.
I only updated to 5.0.3 this morning and did not remove the old files.

I’ll use an app cleaner to remove Sparkle’s ‘application support’ files and caches to see if that helps.

Thanks. I don’t tedn to type in much as I am a terrible trypijst andf rely on copy bits out of Word files.

Thanks. Never heard to AVIF! Looked it up and, no, nearly all the images I’m using are JPGs with occasional PNGs.

Q: What kind of Mac are you using? Older Intel Macs tend to have a lot of beach balls. Once I upgraded to my Apple silicon M-1 iMac, such issues went away. It’s a real game changer!

Hello.

Don’t scare me! This is what Sparkle says
System requirements:
macOS 10.9 Mavericks or later. Optimized for 13.0 Ventura

So MacOs 10 is already quite old, I think. And I don’t buy new hardware for version 5. Have you seen the price tags of the new Mac Studio. That will make you dizzy.

Does anyone here use version 5 with this hardware?
iMac 27, 3.7 GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5 with 32 GB RAM? Current Ventura 13.4
Has it been tested with it?
My confusion and indecision to upgrade is growing.

Mr. F.

I have nearly the same outfit but running 3.4Ghz, and with Ventura 13.4 onboard.
I hardly get any beachballs, but then I also use CleanMyMac X to help it along.

But I am pi####-off at Apple today because they showed today that they have dropped the 27" iMac all in one for their Studio which I don’t want!!! Looks like Microsoft has one over them now!

I just don’t hope Apple goes the same way with macOS (but I’m guessing they will) like Windows 11 now with integrated AI… aka, Skynet!

1 Like

Actually we should update that as Sparkle 5 now requires macOS 10.14.4

Yes, I was with a friend today in an Apple Store where I was told that there will probably be no more new iMacs. They want to push the concept of the mac Studio, because it would be more flexible with the components.

That can be. You can run multiple monitors and use them as needed.

However, the prices are outrageous. Just Apple like.

Do you have to pay attention to anything with CleanMyMac? I mean Duncan mentioned that you would also kill some files from Sparkle that are needed in the background (cache?).

Mr. F.

Oh that is sad to hear! :frowning:
I’ll hold out with my iMac 27" as long as i can and hopefully Apple comes to their senses by that time!!!

I have never ever had an issue with CleanMyMac X and Sparkle! They are best buddies! :slight_smile:

OK. The App Store says MacOS 10.14.4

I got my information from the press kit page. This should be updated as well :blush:

Maybe tomorrow i will load V5. I hope i can count on the great support offered here when i run into severe trouble :face_with_head_bandage:

Mr. F

Hi Duncan,
I’m working with Ventura 13.4 and Sparkle last update 5.0.4 and can’t keep working on a new project.
As soon as I finish working on one device and try to fix the next one, everything is messy on the previous one.
I’m spent the all day trying to reboot the app and my Mac without succeeding.
Just sent you the file on the Feedback address: Hope you’ll tell me which episode I miss…
Thanks a lot for your help. URGENT
Philippe