Switched to Sparkle / site won't override old one

This might be a service provider question. BUT I’ll start here and see where it leads.
I have a site that I use to experiment with other programs. www.billwood.ca.
I used a previous web builder, but now its Sparkle for this site.
I have deleted every file I can think of from the old site, cleared cache etc.
Now I have one page Sparkle file that I’m trying out some new techniques with, and I cannot override the old site with the Sparkle files. I have pretty well cleaned out any file from the old site through my service providers UI.
I need some suggestions. The Sparkle file IS uploading properly. I enjoy the refreshing UI Sparkle has to offer, but I can’t get the override from the old site, with old programming,
Anyone have some ideas, and I’ll try them all.

• Thanks
    Bill

First thing I would try is to get a good FTP program such as Fetch or FileZilla and log into the server to see what is lingering in there. You’ll get a better overall picture of what’s there.
Make sure you don’t have an old “index” file lurking on the server that will take precedence over the new files. Such as “index.htm” from your old site conflicting with “index.html” from Sparkle. I’ve seen that issue before more than once! Honestly, that’s my best bet in your case.
Also, have you tried viewing the site on another computer or lacking that, a different browser?

2 Likes

So Sparkle is index.html. Good to know. If this helps, it’s a windows program. Not sure if that helps but anything for the folks in the know.
I’ve a good sp, and I’m able to see all the files. I’ve ditched any image files.

Why not try typing your home page into the address bar with the suffix of .htm, then again with .html and see if you see old and new pages?
Most PCs homepages end in .htm
Most Mac homepages end in .html
So uploading your Sparkle files to your server will not override and remove the old HTM homepage.

2 Likes

@macmancape is on the money! Hunt for the “.htm” and delete it, and your Sparkle site with .html will make its appearance.

2 Likes

Okay, I just confirmed my suspicions!
When you go to the.HTM index page, you see the old homepage.
When you add the L to it to see the new site with a photo of a cat.

As Greenskin said, you have to “hunt down” and remove that old index.htm page so your new site works and it’ll be purring nicely!

1 Like

Awesome guys, just awesome. I’ve dumped a bunch of pics from the old site, but the cat pic is the new site thanks immensely. I’m not new to iOS but I’m new to Sparkle. Like it a lot.
I’ve got 4 non profits on windows at the moment, but I’ll be able to convert a couple over to Sparkle. I do have the luxury of my own space where I can demo anything new to clients, but often when I check the back end it’s jargon I don’t understand. Sparkle and Mac is so darn elegant it’s hard going back and forth.
Thanks @macmancape for adding the L, and as always @FlaminFig for the htm/html tip.

1 Like