Any application over time gets a little sideways under the hood, especially those that deal with lots of code or heavy graphics that are constantly changing during the creation/edit process.
So recently I noticed that my current Sparkle project site was behaving oddly, with no explanation and against expected behavior as per the instructions. So I figured that something in the cache folder was the issue, and once I cleared the cache, voila! Problem solved. (My cache folder had over 100MB.)
As of right now, Sparkle doesn’t have a built-in tool to flush it’s own cache, but there’s a super-easy and safe way to do it:
Download the free app, “AppCleaner” from FreeMacSoft. It’s Catalina-ready.
Put the Sparkle app in it’s window and delete ONLY the cache folder itself. (see screenshot) Close AppCleaner and re-open Sparkle. You’ll notice that all your “temp” files like the page thumbnails get rebuilt as you open your project, as well as the old preview files.
While this won’t fix a corrupted project (or not likely) if you’re having strange issues specifically with Sparkle this should clear it up.
And don’t forget, your Mac needs a regular clean-up/tune-up as well. Download and run Onyx for Mac and run all the maintenance routines, run it at least once a month. You’ll have a snappy and smooth-running system to work on.