Upgrade Sparkle Pro 3

Bonjour,
Cela n’est pas précisé, mais en choisissant cet option à 64,99€, avons nous droit aux futures mises à jour du logiciel ou vaut t’il mieux prendre l’abonnement annuel pour être certain d’avoir les dernières update ?

En tous cas, toutes les nouveautés ont l’ai plutôt sympa…
Cordialement

Hi @Jean-Marc, we are going on a schedule where new features are paid additions, it’s the only way to make the business sustainable in the long term. The difference is you can opt to not upgrade if you don’t want to, whereas with the subscription you are automatically charged. For some people €75/year is a lot, or it adds up with other subscriptions, for others it’s less work to set it to automatic.

Duncan,
I have a question about the subscription model.

I understand the benefits of a subscription model: for the developer it means steady cashflow and the means to maintain and develop the app; for the user it means potentially rapid bug fixes and small feature improvements.

The worries for users about accepting a subscription license agreement (as experienced with Adobe) is the risk of rapid monthly subscription price increases; and more significantly the risk of losing access to one’s own work product if the subscription to the software tool is cancelled.

The question is this: If one chooses to subscribe to Sparkle, but then cannot or elects not to continue the subscription, does the user lose the ability to continue to use Sparkle altogether, or is it just that the user would no longer be elegible to receive maintenance updates?

I guess it’s different for all cases. Since we have upfront purchases, if you want to receive updates without paying, you need to buy the upfront purchase. When Sparkle’s subscription expires you go back to whatever perpetual license you might have purchased, or the free version.

The technical means may not yet be sophisticated to satisfy everyone’s needs, but ideally, a subscription model could be designed whereby a user who stopped or paused subscription would have the app version and feature set frozen at the last date of subscription, but would otherwise have a functioning tool to access and edit their own work product. Resumption of the subscription would require some substantial portion of missed monthly payments.

In anycase, the developer would not be cheated out of development revenue, and the user would not lose access to the tools necessary to access his own work product.

Is it possible to structure such a subscription payment model?

I guess. We have no plan to change.