Video From Network Location not working

I’m just getting started updating an old website using Sparkle and enjoying it so far! I am trying to link to a video library that already exists on my web hosting server using the ‘From Network Location’ option and the ‘Still + Embed in Lightbox’ option. I am able to scrub through the video in the Poster Image area on the app, but when I publish, the lightbox opens but nothing plays. Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong?

Loading video from a different server is tricky, because in order to avoid stealing bandwidth all video players check if the other domain agrees with sharing, or more specifically the “cross-domain resource sharing” (CORS) configuration.

This is a tricky setup that involves getting your existing server to emit Access-Control-Allow-Origin HTTP headers, which is a configuration that depends on the server.

In its simplest form, assuming your existing server uses the Apache web server, you should be able to do it by creating a .htaccess file with this line in it:

Header add Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

This is crude and opens access to videos to any domain, but it should work.

1 Like

@duncan, All what I can say is that you really know your stuff!!! And that is why you and Daniele have created this magical experience called Sparkle! :slight_smile:

We are so lucky! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The .htaccess file worked! Thanks so much Duncan–I really appreciate the quick and helpful response!!!