About the cookies

I follow the instructions on the page and maybe I don’t know the translator well.
But I am unable to automatically display the cookie window on my page as the instructions say
this is to web www.golfsolvers.com
P.S. This message is translated with google

@Eduardo, I’m going to start by saying you need to install an SSL Certificate against your domain name… Otherwise it doesn’t matter about the “cookie”…

Hi @Eduardo, you need to go to the site settings, privacy section, and click on the “Enable privacy support” button:

This will add a new page to your site that’s intended to be used as a privacy policy page. You will also be able to edit the cookie banner on this page.

In preview the cookie banner will the only appear on this privacy page.

Once the site is published the cookie banner will appear on all pages of the site, and by default it contains a link to go to the privacy page (this does not automatically accept the policy), plus an “ok” button that accepts the policy and dismisses the banner.

While this addresses many problems and is generally a good idea, it is unrelated to handling of visitor consent to exposure to cookies.

The SSL certificate enables encrypted communication between browser and server, ensuring sensitive information isn’t exposed and ensuring nobody can tamper with the content.

Sparkle sites are mostly static, but if the site content is sensitive in nature it can still a problem if someone can detect that, say, someone is browsing a site about a medical condition or sexual orientation.

Tampering with information is also problematic because suppose the site contains the a bank account number for a payment/donation, if a hacker can change that information in transit, it can be damaging.

Encryption prevents those.

Cookie management is about exposing your site visitors to tracking “cookies” of the sites and services you incorporate in your website.

The issue here is mainly about the business model of who creates the site, perhaps providing a free service to visitors, and the cost to visitors is the information about their behavior goes to tracking services who can build a profile and sell it.

All this can happen even if your site has a certificate and transmits content encrypted.

If you have an “unprotected” youtube player embedded on a page, the site visitor will be exposed to youtube tracking, with no choice to opt out, as soon as the page loads.

Sparkle’s cookie solution is to block any content that can produce tracking cookies, until the site visitor has given consent. This is what the warning is about at the bottom of the youtube/vimeo/facebook/instagram/embed/etc inspectors.

3 Likes

@duncan, That is the best explanation of what an SSL Certificate and a site cookie is that I have come across! :slight_smile:

From my end I should have better explained it. What I meant was if the browser detects that there isn’t an SSL Certificate present it will through up a page to warn the user to turn back so never getting to the website showing the cookie warning… unless they ignore the warning and push through.