Browser "back" for anchors not returning to top

When I was in early development I’m pretty certain my browser back (Safari 16) was working to return to the top of the page after a jump to an anchor (aka scroll location - same page far down). Now that I’m further along it’s not going back to the top - it goes to the previous page. I also tested in Brave & Chrome - same thing. It would just be nice to have that option for the user.

Of course I’m providing a fixed “back to top” button - but was wondering if there’s a way to have the browser back also return to the spot before the jump?

Work in progress sample… http://www.danielengelcpa.com (will be https soon…)

This also shows how I’m dealing with the high word count project mentioned in my previous thread.

I think what you might recall is actually an artifact of the Sparkle preview, that by necessity turns off page caching, so browsers are forced to reload the page and as a side effect scroll to top.

As far as I experienced one must create a back to top-button (at the bottom of your page(s) and create an anchor for it (at the top of the page(s).

One thing I am kind of missing, but this is for all scroll to anchor-fetaures: to have kind of a smooth scrolling, well we will see?

Kind Regards,
Uwe

1 Like

Yes you can use anchors to set up “back to top”, but there is a quicker way…
Please see visual…

1 Like

Thanks - as I mentioned, I had the button already set up (Group/Go To Page in this site/page top) - and it’s sticky (at the page top under the main header/menu…so it’s visible from any anchor point.

The thing I was missing/hoping for was mouse/back to return to the same page point before the anchor jump. (Which is really nice/fast with a Magic Trackpad swipe!) - but alas per Duncan it’s just not what happens.

FlaminFig - how is the Go to External Link/# - different/better than how I set up the button?

Good question @KoKo!..
In the screenshot I have the one button that is Show On All Pages. That one button I have used the external link with the # for the URL. Now all pages will have the back to top of page functionality.

1 Like