FREE Plugin for GDPR & CCPA consent

Hey all,

I normally wouldn’t want to clog the space with an ad, but this is a free product I designed with my team in New York that may help some people here.

It’s just been released in beta, and we developed both a normal JS plugin and Wordpress plugin. What this does is add privacy opt-out for your website to keep you compliant with GDPR and CCPA. This will help you avoid potential fines when the regulations take effect on July 1st.

I appreciate any feedback on the tool and any public reviews of the project!

(Use this in conjunction with Sparkle’s Cookie bar and you’ll be fully compliant with data privacy laws.)

http://www.PrivacyPixel.com

(PS> Landing page was designed in Sparkle. :wink: )

Thanks!

Chris

2 Likes

@WebRoyal, Sounds great! :slight_smile:

I know about GDPR, but what is CCPA?

California Consumer Protection Act - basically the same as GDPR, but for California visitors to your site.

1 Like

@WebRoyal, So the CCPA is a generalised privacy act for the whole of the USA? Otherwise this is going to start to get crazy.

Only California has the law in the US at the moment, because Cali is the 5th largest economy in the world. But the point of PrivacyPixel is that whatever new laws are enacted, we will automatically add the necessary protections to your plugin - even if every state in the US adds their own law.

Hi WebRoyal

Sounds great. Can you please share some more information on what’s included in the free plan and how much are the paid ones?

Thanks

Selv

Free is up to 10,000 pageviews per month.

How it protects:

• Gives users a way to destroy 3rd party trackers;
  • Gives users opt-in for cookie tracking.

These things are necessary for GDPR and CCPA compliance, and we keep an audit log to make sure your site is protected in the case of a data privacy lawsuit.

If you are a larger site (above 10,000 pageviews a month) it is $4.99 per month. We’re testing pricing between $19 and $49 per month, however since I love the Sparkle community, we’ll always have some great price specifically for you guys. :slight_smile: But I’m figuring most people don’t get above the free cutoff each month, so hopefully it will be free for most people here. I’m really posting this because I’m interested in the feedback and whether it’s useful or not!

1 Like

I’ll just add that GDPR and now CCPA are big and scary, but they don’t necessarily apply to most people. A lot of the marketing surrounding GDPR and now CCPA want to scare people into being blind to this simple fact.

First, GDPR is not concerned with cookie law, GDPR and cookie law are distinct, so GDPR doesn’t apply to cookies and cookie bars.

A simple Sparkle site does not collect any personally identifying information. Clearly once you have a mailing list or a contact form you are collecting some information, and that’s where these privacy regulations come in scope. They don’t really require any change to the built-in privacy popup, as long as it’s used correctly (and what correctly means depends on your local regulation).

So I’m sure this “plugin” is a fine service, it’s just not necessarily something most people with a simple site need.

3 Likes

True.

Though if you do Analytics or Google Ad tracking or Facebook remarketing, you will then be collecting user data. So I say, better safe than sorry in that case. :wink:

It was a mistake to follow the GDPR, European Law has no jurisdiction in the United States.

Hi, since I use contact forms and google analytics, I visited Privacy Pixel link, it appears with a charge of 19 Dollars, if so do I still have to give my credit card details?. Thank you.