FTP connection failure

Hi Folks,

Sparkle newbie here (but loving it).

My problem is that I can’t get my instance to make an FTP connection to publish my site. The message I’m getting (in red) is:
“The FTP server ftp.helendufeu.co.uk is not correct or blocked, please
check whether the server address is correct”

The settings are correct. According to my hosting people, their logs indicate that Sparkle attempts a connection but never sends a username/password pair and eventually disconnects, so their systems never get anything to reject, although there is obviously something lacking in the necessary handshake.

Filezilla, on the other hand, connects fine with the same connection details and performs the transfer OK. This is a workaround but a pain in the backside as it involves exporting to a folder and then using more software so it would be really nice if the FTP client connected.

I’m using the Three mobile network through a 4G router as my ISP which works fine for everything.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Ken

Hi @hamerks, would you get in touch via email so we can look at this? feedback@sparkleapp.com

I have the same problem when I try to connect via mobile internet. There is no problem in wifi, I cannot connect to ftp on mobile.

Interesting. I can connect fine on both… it’s unclear what the problem is exactly.

Maybe our ISPs are blocking ftp connection.

It’s unlikely to be what’s causing my problem since Filezilla connects OK.

OK, really weird. After having had an enormous amount of help from @duncan over the past 4 days trying to figure out why I couldn’t publish, I finally did what I should have done to begin with and restarted Sparkle. The FTP connection suddenly started working. DOH! Sparkle had been running since I got it from the App Store 10 days ago and something had got its knickers in a twist so needed a swift boot up the backside.

Many thanks Duncan for all your help. I really appreciate it. Sorry it ended up being something so silly.

1 Like