.HTACCESS (suggestion)

It would be very useful if, as part of site settings, a facility for .htaccess parameters to be set up for the site. Check-boxes for those to include. Drop-downs where preset options are available.

Hi @JAYEMM1951, I agree. The problem is a pre-existing .htaccess might have important settings to make the site work, so integrating new settings with the existing one could break the site. It’s possible to check for this, and to attempt to merge settings, but not super simple. There are also some super tricks that can make the site faster etc, so we do want to do it, it’s just not straightforward as it looks (as always).

Hello.

I’m more with Duncan in my opinion. The problem is an existing htaccess file and its update.

I had also thought about it to make a personalized 404 error page, which is then controlled by the htaccess file. Nice, but difficult if this is to be done within Sparkle.

Mr. F.

I agree the htaccess file isn’t part of website development. On rare occasions it is needed, but I don’t see any advantage of it being part of the Sparkle Publish sequence.

I think in the end we need to educate ourselves a bit, as a website is not like uploading a Word document.
404 error pages is part of the mix at times, and should be known by people uploading a website. Google despises error pages and the most Google-friendly way to go about Google not demoting you is to create a 404 page (in Sparkle) and tweak the htaccess file so it defaults to your uploaded 404 page.

.htaccess îs very much a part of web development as one can control all manner of issues with the user experience. An example on my site is a 404 event. Try going to http://jmpostcards.uk/wrong which gives a far more user-friendly result.

As to whether 404’s should be known to people uploading a website: Why would you buy Sparkle, a coding free builder, if you’re totally au faire with the coding of websites? Sparkle is for hobbyists or those with better things to do than buy anoraks.

How about during a save a tool that pops up if any of the directories have a .htaccess file, with a warning about security? After all, there’s nothing like .htaccess security problems when a new admin takes over…