Image Descriptions, Exif, and Smart Fields

I’m trying to understand the relationship between the “IMAGE DESCRIPTION” in the image gallery, the description in the exif fields, and Smart Fields. I can never get the Image Description in the image gallery to appear using smart fields. I can get it to display if there is one in the exif yet it seems that there is limit to the number of characters.

So my question is, the Image Description Smart Field is meant to be connected to the exif Description only and not the “IMAGE DESCRIPTION” in the image gallery?

Hi @jcrbam, we recently updated the documentation to specify that “Image Description” corresponds to the “Caption” field in apps like Lightroom.

So the Image Description in the image gallery does not connect to the Smart Field Image Description?

Ah, sorry I hadn’t even considered that. That would be a great feature to add, but no it’s not currently possible. The smart fields extract data from “EXIF” metadata, or data that is embedded in the original image file.

It’s worth adding that to the documentation. I looked for it but could not find it. So it makes me wonder what the Image Gallery Image description is actually for.

That’s for accessibility and SEO purposes, image descriptions are considered to be very important for both.

Hi Duncan,

Any progress in linking the Gallery’s ‘Image Description’ field to the Label for each photo? I understand that the field here is for SEO but linking the description for each photo to the label for each photo within the gallery would be convenient.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 2.05.14 PM

2 Likes

I also would love this addition!
And also for the Image/Video Grid block when we drop images on mass!

Hi - Just bumping this request.
The image / video grid is fantastic but would be ideal if -
Labels could be attached to each image
If the label could be automatically harvested from the file name of the image.
If the label could sit at the bottom and not obscure the image.

I have a website with 100s and 100s of images (too many to count) that I would like to rebuild using image/video grid but am just (hopefully) waiting on this feature to make the rebuild feasible.
Everything else with this program is remarkable (especially as I get development resources are not exactly infinite!)
Cheers

4 Likes

voting for it this addition

1 Like

I fully agree and am really looking forward to this feature. The image/video grid looks great, but a label is really missing - both in the grid and in the lightbox. As workaround you can insert a text box into each grid cell and fill the text with the Exif data of the photo (file name, description, …) This works perfect for the grid, but the label is still missing in the lightbox/slideshow.
Regards, Heike

1 Like

On the basis that the smart field is only capable of displaying the exif data, it would be great if Sparkle could edit the exif image description.