Is there a limit to the number of pages in a Sparkle Site?

Hello Duncan, and everyone else—
I am a semi-experienced and very enthusiastic Sparkle user, I am currently recreating in Sparkle a website that I originally made, years ago, with Adobe’s now discontinued MUSE program. This website, SageGreenJournal.org, is a sort of online magazine or journal of poetry by western American poets. It works even better in Sparkle, but I am worried about the section that I call “Back Issues.” We have 70 back issues (only one page each) dating bak to 2018. I am almost finished ceating these 70 pages in my Sparkle Site. They will all be accessed via links on the “Back Issues” page. But I have the impression that because of the number of pages Sparkle is now slowing down, on my MacBook Pro, and I am wondeing if I am going to run into any size limit for the number of pages in.a Sparkle site.
Thanks Lito

Hi @Lito,

in general there isn’t a limit, though performance in some cases can degrade. We’re working all the time to improve it, happy to look at your project file to check what the performance issues might be about, if you want to send it (swisstransfer.com/en works for that).

1 Like

Many thanks, Duncan, for your reassuring answer. As my only poetry site, SageGreenJournal.org, was nearing completion, and nearing seventy pages, I noticed the my usual periodic saves, while working, were taking longerand longer, with the famous spinning beachball of death just sitting there while Sparkle tried to sve. But every time, after a bit of.a wait, it did finish saving. And now the site is up and functions well. Bravo Sparkle!

I have the same issue. The website is about fifty pages, all told, and it’s SUPER slow now, but just for that one website. Other websites I manage are running fine, so it’s not a blanket issue with the software. Just the big website.

Just to add on to this. I added a new blog post this afternoon to the site. I hit publish, and now it’s going on about 45 minutes later and it’s still publishing the update to the server.

Same problem since years. Performance drastically degrades when you add more blog posts. It is a showstopper and the only really bad thing about Sparkle. Uploading takes up to an hour. Creating new blog pages or page titles takes many seconds - so much that you try to do something in the meantime.

I think a great solution would be a kind of archive status for blog pages so they are completely ignored by sparkle unless such a page got changed or unless the user changes things that would affect all pages, like the menus or fonts.
So they would be ignored when the user switches resolutions and when uploading a new page to the website.

My current workaround is to manually split my website, I delete all older blog pages in the project and the last blog page leads to a copy of the older pages. Of course this is a bad solution because it breaks older links.

How many blog posts are we talking about?

Currently with 96 blog pages (each with a picture) it takes roughly 30 minutes to publish the site. (Mac mini i7 2018, 32 GB RAM) Adding new pages takes 8 seconds, changing the title 7 seconds. Switching the resolution takes 5 seconds. Changing other text or images works as fast as usual. I still can work with it, but when you sometimes add 5-10 posts per day it quickly becomes a problem.

Thanks. If you could send the project file (swisstransfer.com) it would help us in improving performance.

Done. To feedback@sparkleapp.com