Ruler? Guides? Sad Face

big sad face on the lack of guides.
like big.

3 Likes

Are the smart guides and the column grid not useful enough?

What is the need that the above features do not cover?

Imagine I have many objects on a page. The smart guides could be confusing and imprecise.
Creating a margin for a series of objects to snap to is something essential to most design tools. I would refer you to Sketch; it has smart guides and a layout grid, but you can also show rulers that allow you to create a specific set of guides.

1 Like

Yeah though Sparkle is not quite a print tool, we need to move away from absolute coordinates to introduce other improvements. Again part of the things we have decided to postpone in 3.0, but we are fully aware.

1 Like

I had not thought of it in the print tool sense. Good point.
I was looking it only in the…pixel sense. or even in the % percentage sense perhaps.
Ex: one thing that drove me cray was being able to have a consistent vertical distance between objects. I resorted to creating boxes, which I had to hide and unhide, of different sizes, for different devices, that I would use as “proxy” horizontal guides, so I knew that i was consistently maintaining the right spacing, etc.

Anyway. glad to know you know.

1 Like

Yes understood. Believe me we have years of feedback, we’ve heard it all. Just a matter of getting around to building things in a sensible way.

3 Likes

Have to agree; one of the simplest and must useful features I’d hoped for was being able to “center” any object on the page, just like is easily done in Pages, Keynote etc.

I get it that Sparkle is not a “print” tool but even iWeb had a “centering” guide that would pop when an item moved into place. The multiple vertical lines that appear when moving an item around are just maddeningly confusing and, having visually guess exactly how much space left-or-right of a page edge is really annoying and not productive.

Of all the new things in V3 that seems like an obvious miss.

2 Likes

Well, in Duncan’s defence, the smart rulers can help with that, but it becomes tricky when you have many objects on a page.

1 Like

I do miss a ruler. But I did get layers. Thanks @duncan

-Bill
Pro subscriber 2020

1 Like

I tool would like rulers and guides.