Search engines have lost me :-o

First, congratulations on a very interesting website, Alan! I had no idea that country music was popular in France!

I agree with Rimram that you need to better describe and prioritize what you do on your homepage. I had good luck with Google on a site I made for a glassblower by writing a paragraph about him on his homepage: capecodglass.net
I included all of the keywords I imagined that visitors would search for. His site ranks #1 over other such artists in our area.

One suggestion I offer is to remove the visitors counter from your website. Very out of date now. Et pas jolie:)

Also, listing every city in France ? I know itā€™s an old trick to get Google to notice you, but I donā€™t think itā€™s so helpful anymore. Plus, itā€™s ugly and clutters up your nice site :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Merci beaucoup sir :slight_smile:
The site is vastly improved over the previous one thanks entirely to Sparkle, which is ideal for dummies like me :laughing:
Was your visit to my site last night (Sunday evening ? If so, I have added quite a few words and changed descriptions etc since then.

Iā€™m still in doubt about the keywords (coz you donā€™t wake up more intelligent than your were the day before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) Am I putting them at the right place ? 2nd box down on the right, below where you choose the type of page ?
Also, do there have to be only single words separated by commas, or can you put (example) ā€œcountry musician,drinks too much,ā€¦ā€ ? Thanks again !

I agree about the counters !
However, having all the towns etc doesnā€™t look good :frowning: but I come almost first when you search for a country singer in Toulouse as an example.
Iā€™m a bit torn between leaving the page ugly or risking (even) less visibility.

Hi Alan,

You need to be careful with your Title tag. You will get ranked higher if the tag text is shorter and more precise.

What you also need to think about is thisā€¦ If a human reads your description tag, does it make sense? Is it concise, and readable, does the text flow etc

Title tag: Alan Carter country artist, singer musician balls festivals country festivals, English pop-rock, Irish music, animation for the elderly, animation for seniors

description tag - Singer Country, Pop-Rock and Irish musician. Prom, ball, party, festival and all country and western events. France, Europe and international

Points to consider:

Title tag - is too long! It will be cut off in google search it is 158 characters (donā€™t forget this is also what shows at the top of the browser window as well), recommended length is 50 to 60 characters. The optimal format is:

Primary keyword - Secondary Keyword | Brand Name Donā€™t over do it with keywords etc.

So as an example for my site the title tag could be:

Piano and Keyboard Lessons in Worcester | Music Chamber

Description - Does the text flow if you were a human reading it, again be careful not to stuff it with too many keywords.

Hope this helps,

Best
Scott

4 Likes

Thatā€™s great Scott ! Iā€™m amazed at getting so much useful info so fast from you guys :call_me_hand:t2:
Itā€™s been a huge help to a dummy like me who struggles to get round this sort of technology !
Our internet connection is down right now :rage:
But Iā€™ll have another shot at improving when itā€™s running again.

I actually managed to get google to check my main page and was surprised to read that for mobiles everything is too small ! I thought I had sized correctly in Sparkle.
Oh well, one thing at a time!

Thanks again guys !

@AlanC76. Hey Alan. Country music in Saskatchewan Canada too!
Www.larrykrause.ca.

@AlanC76 If you want to check the readability or accessibility of your site, use this free online tool to assess your website. Just enter your website URL and then adjust the browser window to evaluate each device variant of your website. It will tell you if your text is too small and it will highlight contrast issues. It will also give you information about missing alt tags and a host of other things that can cause accessibility problems.

1 Like

Wish Iā€™d known this tool long ago, would have saved loads of trial and error methods !!
Many thanks :blush:

Hi Larry
Looks like all the best musicians are using Sparkle :cowboy_hat_face: :+1:t4:
Nice site (and music !)
I only do covers, solo entertainer since way back when :wink:
Hope business gets up and running again soon for you.
Next gig in March for me :flushed::flushed::flushed:
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking questions to get better visibility on the net :crossed_fingers:

Thanks Al. I donā€™t sing and you wouldnā€™t want me too. I do the website for a fella. My sites are for non profits, but musicians at the moment are not making much coin. Stay well, and keep on playing. :wink:

Me again folk !
If anyone has enough patience to try and help me on Google indexing, I would be really grateful :innocent:
Iā€™ve followed all the tips you gave me and thought that all was ok. But when I go to the Google search console, whatever I do, it comes back telling me my page is ok and ā€œindexableā€, but each time I request to be re-indexed, it says ā€œthis URL has not been indexed, but itā€™s not due to an errorā€ (??)
The ā€œwaveā€ online tool says all is ok.
This is happening at a time when I really need to be ā€œfindableā€ on Google with clients looking for artists to book as of September.

A million thanks (canā€™t do it in dollars :slight_smile: ) to anyone who can find what Iā€™m doing wrong !

Have you pointed google to find the sitemap.xml sitemap?
Also have you set sparkle to allow google indexing?

I donā€™t know much about this stuff though tbh.

Best,
Scott

1 Like

I think I haveā€¦ but itā€™s so bleeding complicated now !
My previous site was just found by the search engines, never did anything and was always on first page.
Now you need a PhD in science to understand google :sob:

@AlanC76, This is not an easy topicā€¦
Duncan has a bit of a checklist here - https://sparkleapp.com/docs/setup.html that can be a great help in the right direction.

Making sure you have offered up your sitemap.xml (like @rimram suggested) to Google is important.
Then you have to make sure your character count for your page title and description is within the limits.

There is so much to this topic, and Google keeps changing the goal posts especially now that it has an AI running the show and it is thinking more human every day! Ouch!

1 Like

Thanks sir ! Much appreciated.
I tried doing all the steps I could understand ( :neutral_face: ) but will go back later and check it all again.