Sparkle and Catalina

There is some concern among Mac users that the upcoming macOS 10.15 Catalina update will break many apps.

It is true for many older apps that haven’t been updated, so if you rely on some older app you need to ensure it’s 64 bit, for it to launch on Catalina. If it isn’t, Mojave already had a warning saying the app wasn’t compatible with future OS versions. A quick way to check it run Activity Monitor, add the “Kind” column and see for yourself:

The number of bits isn’t a measure of power or greatness, it’s more of a generation thing. Earlier macOS versions were “32 bit”, and the libraries and services they offered where not all migrated to the newer “64 bit” generation, so apps that rely on those will no longer run, as Catalina is dropping the “32 bit” generation libraries.

As to why Catalina is dropping 32 bit tools, the main reason is it’s an entirely separate ecosystem running on your Mac, in parallel with the 64 bit one, using disk space, memory space and making your Mac less efficient. Some developers probably thought this time would never come, but they have had plenty of time to migrate.

Sparkle has always been 64 bit, since its original introduction in 2014, so it launches correctly on Catalina.

Now about Catalina itself, we don’t yet have a final release, only pre-release “beta” versions. There are rumors the release date is close, but Apple hasn’t yet officially announced one.

We receive crash reports when Sparkle crashes on your Mac, and for customers running Catalina there have been crashes we can’t explain, that don’t happen for the same Sparkle version running on Mojave.

We suspect those might be Catalina bugs, so it might be best to hold off and wait at least until the Catalina release, and maybe even a 10.15.1 release.

We at Sparkle HQ are not running Catalina full time yet, which makes it harder to identify more nuanced behavior of a new OS. But I’m confident everything will solidify within a few months.

3 Likes

One of the older apps that will no longer launch on macOS Catalina is Apple iWeb

So it’s definitely time to switch to Sparkle now! :+1::wink:

And yes, usually it’s best to wait for the first updates of any new macOS release, until a few of the bugs are ironed out.

1 Like

@duncan, Thanks for the insight and your take and what to be aware of! :slight_smile:
Stepped away from testing Beta releases… far too busy so nowadays so I have nothing to report on Catalina but looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

Amazing software but it crashes with Catalina with only selecting content after restart gives warning sparklenonmas continues to do this making editing website impossible was almost finished website now i will have to wait to you fix.

No blame understand that it is Apple’s fault you have the best software I have ever used and easy to learn. Keep up the good work

Figured out issue only happens when program window is dragged to its smallest and then all content on page is selected to bottom of page it will causes a crash wish i could figure out screen capture I would send you though quicktime has changed its design not simplified any more. Easily solved on my end I just won’t minimize program to fit so many other windows on.

I personally wouldn’t recommend rushing to upgrade to a new release that’s widely recognized as being buggy. There’s no need to blame Sparkle for Catalina bugs really.

We are submitting a workaround to Apple, that prevents the crash. Honestly? Apple should never have released it. But what can we do?

1 Like

For my part, I switched to Catalina from the first Beta and I didn’t have any problems with SPARKLE.
However, I can no longer play Warcraft 3 (^_^)

Nicolas (French is not dead)

No problems here running Sparkle on Catalina

Figured out issue only happens when program window is dragged to its smallest and then all content on page is selected to bottom of page it will causes a crash wish i could figure out screen capture I would send you though quicktime has changed its design not simplified any more. Easily solved on my end I just won’t minimize program to fit so many other windows on.

Ok, waited a bit but took the plunge after Duncan’s last Sparkle update. On my iMac 27" (approximately 10 months old) I can say Sparkle V2.8.4 is very stable and I haven’t been able to catch it out! So all good on this end! :slight_smile:

Overall I have found macOS Catalina stable but maybe it is more to do with the later specs on my iMac.

Catalina itself (right from the first beta) and the apps I use have been stable enough for daily use for me on my MacBook Air 2017. I am currently trying out Sparkle Free on 10.15.2 beta and it is fast, does not crash, and the UI is smooth and responsive.