Sparkle for Windows

Does Sparkle work on Microsoft Windows computers?
A friend with a PC is impressed by my Mac Copy.

Not available for windows at present. I suppose if your friend got a Hackintosh (Mac Os running in a windows environment) it may work, but not sure for certain.

Sorry not happening anytime soon.

1 Like

Same here, told my friend to buy a Mac so he can kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately these pc people are very stubborn :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

You’re right, but I must admit that buying a mac today means spending a lot of money. With a good computer with Windows on it, you spend a lot less and often have higher speed and performance. I love Apple, but I’m very disappointed with Apple policy because it really makes you feel like a cheapskate. Anyway, I hope Sparkle will also go to Windows to give all creative people the chance to use this wonderful program!

Windows runs fine on a Mac with Boot Camp (or Parallels).

So best of both worlds… :wink:

1 Like

You could buy a second hand Mac for less than $800, depending on where you are in the world you would probably spend less.
You would want 16Mb Ram and a 500gb internal SSD.
In one year that would be less than the cost of many website platforms with their installed apps/plugins/extensions/email and overpriced hosting requirements etc.
That Mac would run Sparkle and Windows.
I’ve run the numbers on that.
And about Macs being slow:
For the kind of work people like us on this platform do a 10 year old Mac with 16GB ram and an SSD HD is fine (but maybe not for running Windows). However, anything above that will do the job.
How do I know?
I have 3 Macs from vintage to relatively new and they all are suitable for building sites in Sparkle.
I’m building a small website for my partner and she is using a 2011 13" Macbook pro with 4GB ram and 500GB SSD. She has not complained about the speed yet.
There are some low end iMacs I would steer clear of simply because they were specced out to do basic office work, like email and administration only.

Sparkle speed was a problem on my old Macbook Pro (beachballs everywhere) until I put it on a fast external disk.

I’m not one of those “I hate Windows people” but I don’t like Windows at all. And I do feel that certain applications should stay away from being Windows or being made available for Windows, I use a Windows pc at work and I would rather work on an old Mac than work on a modern Windows machine, I don’t feel Windows is a stable OS but I feel it’s because when a Windows application installs it puts files all over the place so when an app crashes it’s not a simple fix, where on a Mac the fix is usually as simple as deleting the application from Applications and running it again, not always the case but it does work most of the times.

1 Like

I don’t need Sparkle on windows, not everything shall be available for Windows. :slight_smile:

Ja potrzebuję Sparkle na Windows, nie mogę się doczekać kiedy będzie wydana wersja, jeszcze w tym roku?

Agree. I work with both platforms. There’s a myriad of window programs for websites, and I can list the ones I’ve used back channel. Some are great, others not. If you want a Windows program that acts like Sparkle I’ve got a few suggestions
I moved to Mac for ease of use and elegance and I think Sparkle is on its way. I’ve got some complicated sites and some can be redone with Sparkle. That’s why I’m here.
-W

The case for a Windows version is even more unlikely than that for an iPad version…

2 Likes