Video and gif integrated

We have integrated som cool stopmotion gif video’s on the website. Youtube doesn’t accept .gif and converting the .gif to .mov using imovie added pixels to a standard format (with black parts left and right to the movie). Only with FCPX I was able to format to the same format .mov but then still youtube will change it to the 720p format.
Actually embeding the gif on the webpage looks very cool. It will start to play automically, but the first load will take a long time.
What could we do to reduce the “first load” time? Would a better webhost help? What are the recommended webhosts for video webpages?
Thanks for your recommendations, Susanne and Hans
https://suzart.de/berthavideo.html

Gif files are just plain huge. You should convert to mp4 and use that.

1 Like

Thanks Duncan. I’ve reduced one video from 2.2Mb (gif) to 1.2Mb (mp4) using the same format (pixels). So this must result in reducing the loadtime about 50%. Hope this is sufficient.

When you have created you MP4 file, you should export it in a Web format designed for YouTube or Vimeo. If your conversion application doesn’t have that option, convert the file as normal and then run it through the free Handbrake application, choosing one of the web presets. This will web optimise the video and make it stream. From your description, it seems like your video isn’t streaming - maybe its downloading before starting to play.

1 Like

Thanks @francbrowne I’ve converted all gif files with Apple FCPX to the mp4 format. It reduced the size about 50%. The format of the videos could be held at the same properties (eg 588 x 440).
When putting them on YouTube or Vimeo the format will change into 720p (720 x 1280) adding some spaces to left and right.
I’m happy with how the stopmotion videos now run on the website. Like the gif versions they loopstart automatically.
Leaves the only drawback that this page might be slow loading for the first time. My “customer” can live with it so me too!

I would like my gifs to play automatically. It is my understanding you cannot set a video to play automatically on the iphone, as video box appears and visitor must press “Play,” I use gifs all the time on Wordpress with no problems. But I am trying to leave Wordpress forever and go with Sparkle.
Best, Greg

Muted video can be autoplayed as well. Anyway gifs work fine.