Why doesn't a button that has "Advanced Form Submission" selected have type "submit"?

Hi!
So either I misunderstood what the option “Advanced Form Submission” for a button should do or I don’t understand how to get it to work. My understanding is that upon pressing that button, a form will be POSTed to the provided URL (given that POST is selected in “Advanced Settings”). When looking at the generated code I see that the button is just a simple <a> html tag, type="submit" is missing… (which would be needed to make the form be submitted.) Maybe I’m doing something wrong since I also don’t entirely get what the “Form Variable” field is for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Togira and WELCOME to the community.

Did you read the documentation? Forms with Sparkle

There are a couple (tons+) of threads here about forms and trouble getting them to work. Feel free to use the search. When you don’t see any success with your form, please post as many details as possible with some screenshots showing your settings. Hide any sensitive date!

We’re more than happy to help you.

Mr. F.

Damn, that was a fast reply! Thanks, I‘ll check it out :slight_smile:

Alright, for some weird reason the “Preview” button resulted in a completely different code than when exporting to disk. When running the code that I exported it worked as expected! Is it intended that the preview version of the website behaves differently?

I’m thinking because it is the sever doing the work that you would need to upload your advance form to your server to get it to work. But I stand corrected…

Hi @Togira,

1. preview and published site are different for many reasons
  2. there are also reasons for having the submission button not be a regular input

The high level reason for both is that superficial HTML and CSS don’t actually work in practice in many edge cases, and the whole reason Sparkle exists is so that you don’t have to think about those reasons and the nitty gritty details. A lot of engineering time was spent to ensure compatibility and broad applicability.

If there is some bug then we definitely want to look into it, but I didn’t understand this to be the case from your question.