Wish: dedicated area for header/footer

Hello everyone,

As a great wish for version 5, the following idea came to me.

I would really like a dedicated area where I can edit the header and footer of my website.

I don’t know if I’m the only one with you with the problem, but it has happened to me more often that I make changes to these areas, even though I just wanted to change something at the maincontent level. In addition, I always have to make sure that the header and footer are at the top level on all sides, so that elements do not accidentally slide forward there.

I made my one small sketch here, as I would imagine. Unfortunately, I am missing the tools to draw UI elements. I hope you also know what I wanted to represent :slight_smile:

PS: This text was translated by Apple. Sorry for that :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @AleXiell, thanks for your request and very interesting sketch!

Mmmm… It is a start but there has to be a far more intuitive way in doing this rather than all the other code web design platforms with boxes popping up all over the place in the interface.

Have you tried using “Sections” for your header and footer?

Grouping the header and grouping the footer has always worked for me.
That is not saying things can’t be further improved around how the header and the footer can work of a Sparkle web page.

2 Likes

Hi AleXeill,

…“I always have to make sure that the header and footer are at the top level on all sides, so that elements do not accidentally slide forward there.”…

When you add new content, group or ungroup items, the items will always go to the top of the Layer Hierarchy.

When Sparkle recognises a group of items as a Navigation menu (header), it will, in most cases, keep the navigation menu at the top of the Layer Hierarchy.

If new items on a page end up in front of your Navigation and Footer (at the top of the Layer hierarchy) there is a simple fix that can be applied site-wide or section wide.

This example assumes your Main navigation (header) and footer are shared on all pages or shared on all pages in a section:

Select your main navigation group (header). Turn off shared on all pages or all pages in a section, wait a few seconds, then turn on shared on all pages, or shared on all pages in a section.

This will make your main navigation (header) return to the top of the Layer Hierarchy on all pages.
Repeat the same action for your footer group.

Here’s an example of the same action, but where the question is asked in a different context:

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

2 Likes